Shoot your shot - Tyler x reader

Requested by: Starry0sunny
AU: High school
-

"Go campers!" You exclaimed, leading the cheerleading team.

It was basketball season and you were the cheer captain of the cheerleading team for Wawanakwa High School. You were responsible for making sure everyone was pumped up and ready to go, and you loved every minute of it. You were always looking for ways to make the team better, and you always had a smile on your face. You were an inspiration to everyone, and people wanted to be like you.

Tyler watched you from the sidelines, as he took a break to drink a bottle of water.

"She's beautiful." Tyler whispered to Geoff, who nodded in agreement.

"Go talk to her, dude." Geoff encouraged his friend. "It's obvious you like her."

"I don't know, man." Tyler sighed, "She'll never go for a guy like me."

"You'll never know. Shoot your shot, bro. What if some other guy asks her out first? I swear, I saw Lightning looking at her earlier." Geoff told him, glancing over you, who was still cheering. Tyler smiled at the sight.

Tyler thought about it for a moment. He glanced over at you, leading the cheers with such enthusiasm and energy that it was hard not to be drawn to you. He took a deep breath then made his way over to where you were standing during a time-out.

"Hey, uh, Y/N, right?" Tyler stammered, feeling the weight of his nerves in his chest.

You turned to face him, a bright smile lighting up your face. "Yeah, that's me. You're Tyler, from the basketball team, right? That was an awesome shot you made earlier!"

"Thanks," Tyler replied, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "I, uh, just wanted to say... you're really great out there. I mean, cheering and all. It's impressive."

"Aw, thanks, Tyler!" You said, blushing. "It means a lot coming from you."

Tyler felt his cheeks heat up, as he began to get flustered. Just as he was about to say something else, he took an awkward step backward and accidentally tripped over a loose piece of the gym floor, stumbling right onto you. He reached out to steady himself, and in the process, he accidentally caused you both to lose your balance.

"Whoa, whoa! Are you guys okay?" A concerned voice called out, and Tyler's teammates hurried over to help him up. Tyler's face turned beet red as he scrambled to his feet, while you chuckled.

"Sorry, I'm really sorry! I didn't mean to... I mean, I hope I didn't hurt you or anything," Tyler babbled, feeling utterly embarrassed.

"Are you okay?" You asked, trying to stifle your laughter.

"I'm.. I'm fine." Tyler replied, feeling more embarrassed than ever.

You giggled, tucking a strand of hair in the back of your ear. "That was quite an impression."

"Yeah.." He mumbled, avoiding your gaze.

You laughed, causing him to blush even more. "Don't worry, Tyler, I'm fine! No harm done."

Tyler let out a nervous chuckle, still feeling flustered by the unexpected fall. "Right, of course. I'll, uh, see you later then. Good luck with the rest of the game!"

As Tyler went back onto the court, you watched him and felt your heart flutter.

"Damn, he's such a cutie." You mumbled, then went back to cheering.

As Tyler rejoined his teammates on the court, he couldn't shake the feeling that he had made a complete fool of himself in front of you. You were beautiful and out of his league, so he felt he had no chance.

Despite the lingering embarrassment, Tyler focused on the game, determined to give it his all.  He hoped that if he could just win this, he would gather the confidence to approach you without making an ass of himself.

"You can do it, Tyler!" You yelled out, specifically to him.

Tyler felt his breath get caught on his throat, but he tried to focus and gather as much confidence as possible. You grinned, already feeling proud of him.

After a few stumbles, Tyler managed to refocus and score the winning shot for Wawanakwa High School. His confidence rose hearing his teammates cheer and the crowd erupt with excitement.

"Go Tyler!" You exclaimed, causing your squad to do some flips and movements. You laughed, and caught Tyler smiling at the sight.

After the game, Tyler made his way over to you, feeling his heart pound in his chest, not just from the adrenaline of winning the game, but from feeling nervous around you.

"Hey, Y/N," Tyler said, a wide grin spreading across his face. "I know I stumbled earlier, but I wanted to say that I really enjoy watching you cheer. You're amazing out there, and I'd love to get to know you better."

You looked at him, surprised and touched by his words. "Tyler, that's really sweet of you to say. I'd like that too."

Tyler smiled widely, causing your heart to race. "How about we go for some ice cream?"

"You promise you won't fall on me this time?" You teased, causing him to laugh.

Tyler raised his hands in mock surrender, "I promise, I promise! Just give a clumsy guy like me a chance."

You laughed, taking his hand in yours, leading him out of the court. "Of course."