I'm happy for you - Duncan x male!reader ANGST

Requested by: nenenari
Setting: High school

-

"See you later?" You smiled, Duncan dropping you off to class. 

"See you, man." Duncan nodded, as you walked away to greet your boyfriend Cody, who was in the same class as you. 

Duncan watched as you and Cody kissed. He tried to push down his emotions, knowing that he was in love with you. He had been in love with you, since last year, but you started dating Cody last month. You were one of Duncan's best friends, however he would never admit that. 

He wanted to confess his feelings for you for months before you started dating Cody, but he was too caught up in his own shame to be open about his sexuality. He was terrified that you would reject him if you knew the truth. He loved everything about you and being around you felt like a breath of fresh air. 

However, now he was facing the consequences of staying quiet. You were with Cody and he had to respect that. 

Duncan pushed down the lump in his throat, as he heard you and Cody exchange 'I love you's.' 

He gritted his teeth, walking away as fast as he could. He had had enough of this. Enough of you. 

-

You and Cody were laughing and holding hands, walking down the hallway together. You didn't seem to notice Duncan watching you two together. 

"Duncan!" You greeted him, once you finally spotted him. You and Cody approached him, causing him to blush lightly but put up a stoic expression. 

"Sup." Duncan nodded, then glanced at Cody who looked uneasy. 

You grinned, "Prom is coming up. Who are you taking?"

Duncan shrugged. "I don't know. I might skip it."

"It's up to you." You chuckled, squeezing Cody's hand. "Well, catch up with you later."

Duncan nodded, then walked away, but not before glancing at you and Cody once again.

He knew he had to take a chance and approach you before it was too late and lose you forever in the process.

-

Duncan didn't know why, but he decided to attend prom the next week. He thought that maybe, just maybe, he should tell you how he felt. He wasn't sure if you felt the same way or if you even liked him back, but he decided to go anyways.

He showed up in a white button-up shirt with a missing button, and his hair was still in a mohawk. He bought a single red rose from the market, but it was the thought that counted.

Deep down, Duncan knew this was wrong. You were with Cody, but Duncan couldn't help it. He loved you and would do what it took to fight for your love. He could see the pain in your eyes and the longing in your smile, and he believed you felt the same way. However, you were with Cody, and Duncan had to accept that.

Duncan arrived at the prom that night and saw you sitting alone. He took a deep breath and shakily walked up to you, trying to keep his cool. 

"Duncan, hey!" You exclaimed, standing up. 

Duncan nodded, "Hey Y/N.. I.. thought you might like this." He handed you the rose. 

You blushed lightly, "What's this for?"

"I.. I like you, man. A lot. I might even be in love with you." Duncan confessed, trying to mask his nerves with a nonchalant expression.

Your heart skipped a beat, "I don't know what to say. Is this a joke?"

"No it's not. I like you, Y/N."

"Duncan.. I'm flattered, but.. I'm with Cody."

Duncan sighed, "I know, but I thought I'd try."

You smiled softly. "If this means anything.. I used to like you too.. But I thought you were straight."

Duncan's heart dropped. This information did not make him feel any better. He lost you. He was too late. 

"Y/N? What's going on?" Cody asked from behind you. 

You quickly handed the rose back to Duncan, silently rejecting him. "Nothing, Cody. Duncan and I were just talking."

Cody nodded, still not convinced. He held out his hand, gesturing to the dance floor. "Want to dance?"

"Sure!" You smiled, walking away with Cody. 

Duncan stood there, holding the rose he got for you in shock. He couldn't believe it, that you had feelings for him before. He wondered why you didn't say anything, why you didn't wait for him. 

He wondered what went wrong. Was it because he didn't say anything either? 

Whatever the reason was, he regretted everything.

Duncan stayed at the spot where he confessed his feelings to you, only for you to not return his feelings. He watched as you and Cody danced together, and he couldn't help but smile slightly. You looked so happy with Cody, more happy than you could ever be with Duncan. 

Deep down, Duncan wished that was him on the dance floor with you, holding your hand, wrapping his arms around you. But you were not his. You never were. 

He was heartbroken, but he knew that you were happy and that was what mattered.

Despite all that happened, Duncan was happy. 

 I'm happy for you
Know that I am
Even if I can't understand
If happy is him
I'm happy for you