Y/N

Two days later, Taehyung was in Central America and Jungkook had moved in next door. I watched as the movers carried a massive flat-screen TV and various-sized boxes into the house, while Jungkook's Aston Martin became a constant sight.

Realizing that dwelling on my situation wouldn't help, I decided to make the best of it.

The gallery was closed on Tuesdays during summer and I had no photo shoots scheduled, so I spent the afternoon baking my signature red velvet cookies.

I had just finished packaging them in an adorable basket when I heard the unmistakable roar of Jungkook's car pulling into his driveway and a door slamming shut.

Taking a deep breath, I prepared myself.

Wiping my sweaty palms on the sides of my thighs, I told myself not to be nervous about delivering cookies to him. After all, Jungkook had been a guest at our Thanksgiving table for the past eight years and despite his wealth and good looks, he was human. Intimidating, but human nonetheless.

Furthermore, he was supposed to look after me and it would be hard for him to do that if he reacted negatively to my gesture.

With that reassurance in mind, I grabbed the basket, my keys, my phone, and headed towards his house. Thankfully Jules was at her law internship; one more comment about how attractive Jungkook was might have made me lose control.

Part of me felt she did it to annoy me while another part worried she might actually be interested in him. My best friend connecting with my brother's best friend could cause complications I didn't want to deal with.

I rang the doorbell as calmly as possible while trying to silence my racing heart. The urge to toss the basket on the front step and run home crossed my mind but I refused to take the cowardly way out.

A minute passed.

I rang the doorbell again.

At last, I heard faint footsteps approaching. As they grew louder, the door swung open and I found myself face-to-face with Jungkook. He had taken off his jacket but was still dressed in his work attire, a crisp white Thomas Pink shirt, Armani pants and shoes, and a blue Brioni tie.

His gaze scanned my hair (tied up in a bun), my face (red and flushed for no apparent reason), and my clothes (my favorite tank top and shorts) before finally resting on the basket of cookies. His expression remained neutral throughout the encounter.
"They're for you," I said, pushing the basket towards him. "They're cookies - a welcome-to-the-neighborhood gift."

"A welcome-to-the-neighborhood gift?" he echoed.

"Yes, since you're new to the neighborhood." I felt awkward. "I know neither of us wants this situation, but as neighbors, maybe we could call a truce."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. "I wasn't aware a truce was needed. We're not at war."

"No, but-" Frustrated, I continued, "I'm trying to be nice. We'll be neighbors for the next year, so let's make our lives easier. Just take the cookies - eat them, throw them away or feed them to your pet snake Nagini if you want." He smirked. "Did you just compare me to Voldemort?"

"What? No!" I defended myself, then added half-heartedly, "You just don't seem like someone who'd have a furry pet."

"You're right on that account. But I don't have a snake either." He accepted the basket. "Thank you."