Y/N

Operation Emotion: Phase Sadness

I came prepared for battle.

I applied makeup, brushed my hair, and donned my favorite white cotton sundress adorned with yellow daisies at the hem. It was both charming and comfortable, showcasing just enough cleavage to pique interest. jack had adored it. Whenever I wore it, our nights concluded at his place with my dress discarded on the floor.

After our breakup, I contemplated tossing the outfit because he had loved it so much. However, I decided against it. I refused to let him spoil my joy, be it in a dress or mint chocolate ice cream, which he used to buy for me during my period cravings.

I reasoned that looking stunning wouldn't hurt if I aimed for an impromptu movie night with Jungkook.

Unable to devise a plan to make him sad without being cruel, I opted for the neutral choice of sad films. They affected everyone, even men.

Once, I caught Taehyung tearing up at the end of Titanic. Although he blamed his allergies and threatened to hurl my camera off the Washington Monument if I told anyone, I knew the truth. Even after a decade, he couldn't stop complaining about the available space on the door for Jack. While I agreed with him, it didn't stop me from teasing him.

Considering Jungkook's slightly more reserved demeanor than Taehyung's, I bypassed Titanic and selected two tear-jerkers: A Walk to Remember (even sadder than The Notebook) and Marley and Me. With that arsenal in hand, I knocked on Jungkook's door. To my astonishment, it opened in less than two seconds.

"Hey, I..." I stopped and stared.

I'd expected to see Jungkook in office attire or casual wear, but nothing he owned was truly casual. Even his T-shirts were expensive. Instead, he donned a deep gray shirt tucked into dark denim jeans and a tailored black Hugo Boss blazer.

Quite dressy for a Thursday night.

"Did I catch you on your way out?" I tried to peek behind him to see if he had company, but Jungkook's frame blocked most of the doorway.

"Should I move so you can have a clearer view of my living room?" he asked sarcastically.

Embarrassment warmed my cheeks. Caught red-handed. "I don't know what you're talking about. Your living room isn't that interesting," I lied. "Lack of color. No personal effects." What am I saying? Someone stop me. "The painting's unattractive too." Stop me now. "Could use a woman's touch." Oh no.

I couldn't believe I just said that.

Jungkook's lips pressed together. If he were anyone else, I would have thought he was trying not to laugh. "I see. The painting technically belongs to Taehyung, you know."

"That should've been the first red flag."

This time, a tiny smirk graced Jungkook's mouth. "To answer your question, I was on my way out. I have a date."

I blinked. Jungkook on a date. That was hard to imagine.

Of course he dated - just look at him. But I'd never heard or seen any evidence of activity in his love life, unless you counted the women constantly vying for his attention, so I'd assumed he was one of those workaholics exclusively devoted to his job.

We'd been neighbors for over a month, and I hadn't seen him bring a single woman home - though admittedly, I wasn't watching his house around the clock like a total creep.