Jungkook

I silently cursed Taehyung as I carried Y/N upstairs. That jerk always put me in situations I didn't want to be in. Case in point: sleeping in the same room as his sister. I'm sure he'd be even less happy about it than I was, but I hadn't set up the guest room - I never had guests if I could help it, and it was pouring outside. Taking her home would have drenched us both. Leaving her on the couch would have been uncomfortable.

I kicked open the door to my room and set her on the bed. She didn't stir. My eyes lingered on her form, noticing details I shouldn't have. Her dark hair fanned out beneath her like black silk, and her skirt rode up slightly. Her skin looked smoother than silk, and I had to clench my hands to keep from touching her.

My mind flashed back to earlier in the night. Her skin had turned red when I made a comment, and while I'd joked about her reaction, a part of me wanted more. Because I'd seen the desire in those big, brown eyes. Tearing my gaze away, my jaw clenched at the unwelcome thoughts.

I shouldn't have been thinking about my best friend's sister this way, but something shifted. I had started seeing Y/N less as Taehyung's baby sister and more as a woman-a beautiful, pure-hearted yet feisty woman who might be my undoing one day.

I never should've invited her in earlier. My date with Madeline had been planned, but honestly, I couldn't stand Madeline's company outside the bedroom. She was gorgeous and sophisticated but insisted on being wined and dined before each of our encounters. Y/N had seemed more appealing than another tiresome meal at a fancy restaurant where Madeline pretended we were a couple.

Madeline didn't expect any strings from our arrangement, but she liked status symbols, and I was considered one. I didn't care. Our arrangement was mutually beneficial, but I knew it had run its course. Her displeased reaction when I called off tonight had solidified my decision. Madeline had no claim over me, and she was sorely mistaken if she thought otherwise.

I lifted Y/N gently to tuck her beneath the covers. I had expected her to sleep with a dreamy smile like the one she always wore when awake. Instead, her eyebrows were furrowed, her mouth tense, and her breathing shallow.

I almost caressed her brow before stopping myself.

Instead, I changed into black sweatpants, turned off the light, and climbed into the other side of the bed. A gentleman would sleep on the couch or floor, but nobody had ever accused me of being one.

I placed my hands behind my head, trying to ignore the delicate female presence beside me. Sleep eluded me as usual, but instead of focusing on a specific day in my mental scrapbook, I let my mind wander freely.

November 27, 2013.

"Trust me, man, my dad will be thrilled to have someone to discuss football with," Taehyung said as he jumped out of the car. "Me being an NBA rather than an NFL fan is his biggest disappointment."

I smirked and followed him up the driveway toward his family's impressive brick house in the Maryland suburbs. It wasn't as large as my mansion on Philadelphia's outskirts where I lived with my uncle but must have cost at least a couple million. Thick hedges lined the stone path leading up to a massive mahogany front door adorned with a fall-themed wreath of flowers accented by a silky bow.

"My sister's doing," Taehyung remarked, noticing my gaze. "My dad dislikes that stuff, but Y/N adores it."

I knew little about his sister except that she was younger than us and enjoyed photography. Taehyung had bought her a secondhand DSLR camera from eBay for Christmas after she kept dropping "hints" during their phone conversations.