Jungkook

I MADE PANCAKES.

I seldom cooked—why bother with a task I found joyless and easily outsourced? However, on that day, I made an exception. Expecting a visitor, I chose to stay in to avoid missing them.

As the doorbell echoed throughout my home, I glanced at the microwave clock: 9:07 a.m. He was earlier than anticipated, indicating eagerness.

I turned off the stove, cradling my tea as I went to answer the door, only to conceal my astonishment.

It wasn't who I expected.

"Why are you here, Sunshine?"

The greeting lacked warmth, but time was of the essence—she had to depart before he arrived. The mere thought of their potential encounter sent a wave of mild panic through me.

Y/N's expression held a tinge of weariness, and I couldn't help but wonder if those nightmares had resurfaced. They had diminished since the return of her memories, yet occasionally still haunted her.

A mix of worry and guilt overwhelmed me. Our last conversation had been days ago; her anger toward me still lingered as I immersed myself in clandestine endeavors. Organizing a corporate board meeting secretly the week before Christmas was no minor feat—even with sufficient leverage over each board member to secure their reluctant compliance.

"We need to talk. About us," Y/N asserted.

No words are more disheartening to hear from one's girlfriend, particularly when their relationship is already in a precarious state. I was eager for the commotion with my uncle to settle so that I could devote the attention to her she truly deserved.

The convoluted vengeance I had contemplated against her "father" remained undisclosed—a secret perhaps better kept to another day, if ever at all.

Mr. Kim was a sadistic brute who, even without having orchestrated my family's demise, provoked me to consider enlisting someone to eliminate him inside the prison walls. However, I had not yet succumbed to that temptation.

"Can we discuss this later?" As the familiar gray Mercedes rolled into view, my body tensed involuntarily. "This isn't an opportune moment."

Y/N's head shook firmly. "A week has passed; Christmas looms just two days away, and I'm weary of the evasion between us. Your recent behavior has been peculiar; I'm entitled to know what's troubling you. If your feelings have changed — " She paused, releasing a tight breath as a flush warmed her cheeks. "Just have the courage to say so."

Don't string me along." Goddamn it. If only Taehyung had come home for Christmas like he'd planned, he would've kept Y/N away. But there'd been an earthquake in his volunteer region he was okay, thank God and the people needed all the medical help they could get in the aftermath, so he'd stayed. I'd donated a hefty sum to help with his organization's expenses as well. Partly out of charity, mostly out of guilt.

Y/N wasn't the only Kim I'd fucked over these past few years. My uncle parked and got out of his car, his face thunderous.

My grip tightened around my mug.

"I want to be with you," I whispered, keeping a wary eye on Jin. "I'll always want that, but—" "Jungkook." My uncle's calm voice couldn't hide the storm raging in his gaze.

Y/N spun around, taken aback, as he masked his anger with a gracious smile. "And who is this enchanting young lady?"

Had the mug in my hands been made of glass, it surely would have shattered. "This is Y/N, Uncle Jin," I said tersely.