Welcome Home

LYRA*

Dr. Wise started my physical therapy the morning after I emerged from the coma, plunging me into a whirlwind of bustling activities for the past two weeks. My feeble muscles struggled to perform, compelling Dr. Wise to suggest painkillers and muscle relaxers. However, I declined, well aware of the treacherous path pain medication can lead to. Unless the agony became unbearable, I refused. When the pain reached its peak, I resorted to Advil. Maintaining a clear state of mind became paramount in expediting my departure from this hospital. I desired to steer clear of the haze induced by painkillers and muscle relaxers. After all, no pain, no gain.

After two weeks of consistent effort, I have increased my weights to three pounds. The hard work has paid off as my leg muscles have strengthened, allowing me to walk more than before. It's not as much as I had hoped for, any progress is a step in the right direction.

Jared and I have reached a point where we address each other by our first names, solidifying our newfound friendship. The attraction I feel towards Jared is undeniable, a magnetic force I can't help but acknowledge. I've mustered the courage to express my feelings, only to be met with his insistence on maintaining a platonic relationship. It's understandable considering the consequences he could face if he were to engage in a romantic relationship with a patient. I refuse to let that happen to him.

In a conversation, I mentioned that my time as his patient would soon end as I would be returning home. This realization hung in the air, causing a slight tension between us. Despite this, we remained steadfast in our decision to remain just friends. Deep down, I know it's for the best. Right now, a romantic relationship is not something I am seeking, and perhaps it's not what I need.

"Do you think it's time for me to move up to five-pound weights, Jared? I assure you, I won't break. I'm more than capable."

"We'll assess everything on Saturday, Lyra, and if everything goes well, I'll start you on five-pound weights on Monday. However, let's take it slow to ensure we don't strain your muscles or cause any damage."

"Jared, I've been using the 3 pound weights and working out for a long time now. So, I don't understand why I have to wait. I'm ready to go home and continue my physical therapy there. My parents have already purchased and set up all the equipment at the gym outside. I have a physical therapist who will work with me once I am back home. So, I'm questioning why I have to stay here."

I know I almost died, but I'm so tired of everyone treating me like I'm a fragile glass doll. I want to go home, damn it.

"Just two more weeks, Lyra. I want to make sure everything is healing correctly. I had to reconstruct your arm and leg. You can't rush your recovery."

That's bloody fantastic. If I ever catch that jerk who sideswiped me, I'll give him a piece of my mind! Thankfully, my parents received a significant lump sum from a settlement to cover my hospital expenses and aftercare. I'll have access to a physical therapist and brand-new equipment once I return home. The individual responsible for the accident is serving a fifteen-year prison sentence for attempted manslaughter. Frankly, I have no sympathy for him. It's his own fault for driving under the influence.

"Jared, this is horseshit!" Giggling and wiggling my eyes at him I state, "I think you are doing all you can just to keep me around for your benefit."

"This is serious, Lyra," Jared said, his tone filled with concern. "You could injure yourself. This is not something to laugh about." He paused for a moment, his expression softening. "I do like you, but that isn't the reason I'm making you stay. You've done enough reps for the day. It's time to work on your walking. Come on," he added, assisting me as I settled into my wheelchair.