I Can't Wait

LYRA*

The room fills with gasps of surprise from everyone present. Our mom and Blaze's mom shriek and start bouncing around with anticipation. Tears stream down Vega's cheeks, yet she remains silent. Several minutes pass, and Vega glances my way, a huge grin spreading from ear to ear. Then she turns her gaze back to Jace.

"Yes, Jace! I'll marry you and become Mrs. Jace Cunningham!"

As Jace slides the exquisite ring onto Vega's finger, my eyes widen in awe. In the light, the dazzling round-cut diamond gleams, captivating with its brilliance, while the smaller diamonds, meticulously arranged, form a shimmering halo around the center gem. The band adorned with delicate diamond accents. It is a sight that confirms, without a doubt, that Jace and Vega are soulmates. The ring he picked out for Vega is a testament to how well he knows her and how perfect they are for one another.

While I'm thrilled for Vega, I can't deny feeling a twinge of jealousy. Deep down, I earnestly await the moment when Blaze proposes to me. However, if he were to propose in such a public manner, in front of everyone and even God, I might have the urge to give him a playful punch. I envision Blaze and me being alone in a romantic setting when he kneels down on one knee to propose. That would be perfect. As for the engagement ring, I hope Blaze thinks outside the box because I'm not interested in a traditional one.

Vega jumps up, and Jace follows suit. They embrace each other as if it's their last day on earth. The entire room erupts with cheers and congratulations for the newly engaged couple. One by one, everyone in the room approaches them, offering hugs, handshakes, and warm welcomes to either Jace or Vega, welcoming them into the family.

Dad embraces Jace, patting his back as he speaks. "Jace, you've always been like a son to me. Please take care of my daughter."

Jace returns the hug and then pulls Vega close, assuring, "Yes, sir. I promise to protect and cherish her. I would never be willing to let anything bad happen to Vega."

"Remember what we talked about at the hospital, son?"

"Sir, rest assure, we will wait until Vega and Lyra graduate before getting married. Their education and future aspirations are my top priority."

That's horse crap! Jace and Vega may have to wait for a whole two years or even longer before they can get married, even though they already live together. I refuse to allow that to happen. Although Vega tends to keep her emotions to herself, I can tell by her expression at this moment that she's upset.

"Dad, I need to speak up because I know Vega wants to say something, but she's holding it all in. It's not fair to make them wait for two years to get married. Jace has been living with us since we moved in, and even before that, when we still lived at home. They're practically already married, just not officially on paper. I'm thinking we could hold the wedding in September, during the week that Vega and I have off before the Fall Semester starts. That's about eight months from now. We would have enough time to plan everything by then. Dad, please don't make them wait so long. Jace and Vega getting married wouldn't affect our graduation plans or even if they decided to have a Christmas wedding. They would still have a year-long engagement."

Blaze squeezed my hand, then stood up and pulled me up with him.

"We'll talk about all of this later, young lady. Now's not the time for this conversation."

After patting him on the shoulder, Mom glanced at Blaze. "So Blaze, when do you plan on asking Lyra to marry you?"

Blaze leads me towards Vega and Jace. As he pulls me along, I can't help but wonder when my turn will come. My cheeks flush with embarrassment at mom's question. Trying to make amends, I apologize while getting lost in Blaze's captivating eyes. In response, he tightens his grip on my hand.