Chapter 1- Sophie

Sophie Foster let out a slow, small sigh of relief. She leaned her head back against the Panakes tree and closed her eyes. She hadn't felt this way in a while. Happy, blissful, peaceful- it was wonderful.

There was nothing to bother her in this moment. No Black Swan projects, no Neverseen attacks, and no constantly worrying whether her friends were alive or dying.

Sophie shuddered. Unwanted and unbidden flashbacks spiraled through her mind of the pain she had endured in the past few years.

The sedative's sweet aroma while she and Dex were kidnapped, helpless, binding her to existence, the memory of life forgotten.

Alden, with wide terrified eyes as he lay, broken.

The everblaze created by Fintain, and Kenric, dead.

Keefe, running away to the Neverseen, betraying her for a plan she didn't know about.

Sophie shook her head, clearing the horrors away to a safe space in the back of her mind, where she had been keeping a lot of things recently

Now was not a time for worrying about all her problems and mistakes. Now was time for relaxation and celebration for the little relief of peace that was being given to her.

Sophie shifted more comfortably into the back of the tree, nature's presence surrounding her under the warm glow of midday sun.

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

Sophie sat up straight, her ears pricked. She swore that she had heard footsteps somewhere around her. She whipped her head around, her eyes narrowed, trying to track where the sound came from.

Her heart started beating faster as images of Neverseen members jumping out of the bushes to ambush her.

Sophie sat still, waiting, her heart thumping loudly in her chest.

No sound came. Sophie slowly relaxed back into the bark of the tree, the scent of the Panakes blossoms soothing her.

There's nothing here. No reason to worry, Sophie thought using Alden's favorite phrase.

It could have been just a rabbit or a chipmunk. Or, better yet, she probably imagined it, because she had been waiting for someone to find her here.

Sophie shook her head. She deserved a break from being the moonlark. She deserved to have a small moment of a normal life. There had been no footsteps. She had just imagined it.

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

Sophie jumped up. Her hand hovering over one of her pockets in her crimson tunic, where she was carrying her throwing stars.

She had definitely not imagined it this time, there was someone there. And they were doing a very good job at hiding.

Her eyes scanned the scene. There was no trace of any presence of any elf, but she knew that they were there.

Wherever they were.

Sophie took a step forward, deciding at that moment to make a move and be brave. She cleared her throat and said shakily, "I- k-know you're there. Come out!"

Sophie stood there watching her surroundings, but they remained quiet as ever.

Sophie slowly lowered her hand. Maybe there really wasn't anyone there after all. But, just as she was about to give up and sit back down, a figure slowly stepped out from behind a tree and slowly started walking toward her.

A very familiar figure.

A/N: Well, here we are! Thank you so much again for reading. I know this was kinda short but I hope y'all enjoyed it!

BTW: MORE CHAPTERS ARE POSTED!!!!