Chapter 7- Sophie

Sophie fidgeted around with her keys to her apartment. After finding the right one, she slid it into the door and unlocked it.

It had been hard getting used to not having elvin luxury; the fresh air, the wonderful food, always being able to pay for anything, it was hard. But it didn't matter much anymore. 

Life felt like a ticking clock, and the steady loss of every second really put into perspective how much time Sophie had left.

Sophie could barely get to work anymore. She could barely get out of the house. She felt like collapsing down on the sidewalk every ten minutes.

Even Sophie knew what it meant. She only had a few weeks left of her life. She honestly was grateful. When she died, she wouldn't have to worry about leading this fake life of Jade Peterson, an 18 year-old with curly brown hair, and hazel eyes, and had a steady job at an interior design company, had an apartment, and a small car.

So different from 16 year-old Sophie Foster with blonde hair, brown eyes, the Moonlark of the Black Swan, and current prodigy at Foxfire. It was hard pretending she was two years older than she really was, but people believed her. Human life was set. It was the memories that were painful.

Sophie finally opened the door to the apartment when someone called out behind her.

"Jade!," Sophie turned to see her neighbor, Lucy Cellins. 

"Uh, hi Lucy, what do you need?," Sophie asked.

"Jade, homework for international studies is driving me crazy. You are so good at homework. Please, please, please help me?," Lucy moaned from her door.

Sophie laughed, but felt an awful cramp in her stomach that made her want to pass out. She needed to rest.

"I'm sorry, not tonight. I- I'm not feeling well," Sophie said, somewhat lamely.

Lucy groaned. "Okay, then."

Sophie turned and stepped back inside to her tiny, little home. There were no personal touches, she didn't really want them, but a lot of paperwork.

However, tonight was not her night to get things done.

Sophie climbed into bed and wondered if this was the night she'd finally die in her sleep.

She closed her eyes, and clung to the memories that were most important to her.

Finding out she was an elf.

Grady and Edaline adopting her.

Flying with Keefe on Silveny.

Hanging out with her friends.

Tam and Linh joining the Black Swan.

Keefe and his wonderful ice blue eyes.....

Sophie? 

Sophie jumped as Fitz's crisp accent filled her head.

Are you there?

Sophie refused to transmit back, though her heart ached. But she couldn't give herself away.

Listen, I think this is pointless, but Dex found a way for non-Telepaths to enter your mind through mine. Keefe really wants to talk to you.

Sophie tried not to groan. She couldn't have Keefe talking to her, it would drive her crazy and make her want to go home. Which she could not do.

Hey,..... Foster.

Keefe's sweet voice echoed through her mind, and she was urging to transmit back, but kept herself from doing so.

I, I don't know what to say. Foster- I-I don't even know if your there, but I need you to come back. Please.

I can't do this without you. So, even if you're not there I need to let go of this in some way.

Keefe's mental voice became shaking, it was like he was crying.

Foster, you mean so much to me. P-please don't go. Y-you're all I have left that matters. I'm so sorry for all the hurt and pain I've caused you. So I don't deserve your love or worry or sympathy. But, come b-back.

I w-will find you- whatever it takes and bring you home, whether your broken in a million pieces or with no memory of me.

P-please, Sophie, I want to see your eyes again.

Keefe severed the connection. Or maybe Fitz did. Sophie felt tears cascade down her face in the dark. Her heart broke from what Keefe was going through.

But she could hurt him. That was the last thing she'd ever want to do in her life. Sophie curled up in a ball wanting to be able to stay strong and stay hidden but she couldn't. She had to give Keefe a hint.

He couldn't lose hope.

So, breathing heavily she transmitted one word one time to Keefe.

Moonset.

A/N: Hello! will0w-tree here! We are starting to get to the juicy parts of this story aren't we?

Ik this is probably one of the worst fanfics you've ever read but thanks for more than 80 reads! This is truly an amazing thing to write for you guys, and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Happy Reading!

- will0w-tree