Chapter 34- Keefe

Keefe didn't know how long he had been running. Only the dull pain in his legs gave the clue. But it was masked over with sheer panic. Flowing from his heart and pumping adrenaline into his veins. Fueling him with a strange sort of energy.  

He was racing through a wide flower field full of different colored flowers swaying in the wind.

This was the place where Foster's thoughts had been tracked. This place was their only lead.

Keefe couldn't afford to lose it.

His eyes scanned hurriedly through the lush biome, while Keefe screamed Foster's name over and over.

Keefe couldn't lose her now. Not after being so close.

As he darted through the wispy petals he spotted a figure laying on the ground.

He slowed to a stop, turning to face her.

It was Sophie, lying bruised and bleeding in a small pile of blood.

She was wearing a simple navy dress, which was ripped and faded. Her blonde hair was filled with bits of dirt, blood, and rubble. Her eyes were closed.

Keefe found a single tear slipping down his cheek, but he didn't brush it away.

It was soon followed by more as he collapsed to his knees, and put a hand to her chest. A few seconds trickled by as Keefe held his breath.

Thump.

Keefe exhaled slowly.

Foster was breathing.

He gently pick up her head and rested it in his lap.

Keefe reached for her limp hand, and held it softly.

Sophie's eyes flickered.

The sunlight brought out the gold flecks in her eyes and made them shimmer- like little gold petals dancing in her eyes.

"Foster?"

His voice was cracked and raw, but she still smiled- a small sad smile, before letting out a feeble cough.

"Keefe," she choked out, meeting his gaze, "You- you found me."

"Did you really think I wouldn't?" Keefe said, trying to smirk, but couldn't bring himself to.

What was the matter with him?

Sophie laughed softly, "No."

Keefe could have stared into her eyes all day, but there were more pressing matters at hand.

"Listen- Foster, we need to get you to Elwin and-"

"Keefe," Sophie interrupted, her voice quiet and fragile, but Keefe trailed away nonetheless.

"Keefe, I can't survive another light leap- as I can also not wait for anyone to find us. So please," her eyes started to well up as she begged, "Please- can you sing to me?"

"Sing?" Keefe repeated hoarsely, not really sure he had heard her right.

"Sing," Sophie clarified, "Silveny showed me memories of you singing- and...... I like your voice."

"Foster I-" Keefe started but Sophie started coughing again. Harshly. Her eyes fluttered closed,  her heart beat slowing down.

Tears turned to waterfalls, as he pulled her closer.

Keefe didn't know what he was doing or thinking when he started to sing her to sleep- his voice shaky and thick as he cried.

"You are my sunshine. My only sunshine.."

His voice broke off as he burst into a sob.

"You make me happy when skies are gray."

He pulled Sophie's limp body towards his chest.

"You'll never know dear, how much I love you....."

He broke into uncontrollable sobs making the last phrase barely audible.

"Please don't take my sunshine away."

Updated: 1/4/24