Chapter 26- Keefe

Time seemed to slow to a stop as Keefe's brain tried and failed to register the impossible. Foster wasn't, couldn't be an Empath. That wasn't supposed to happen. He should be the only one who has to deal with that ability- and its burden.

But the facts lay out against him. As they usually do. Anger bubbled at the pit of his stomach, but Keefe pushed it down. Foster needed him to be supportive.

Her eyes lowered to the ground, staring at her feet when she mumbled, "Are you mad at me?"

Clearly she had caught his quick mood-shift.

"Well, I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at Forkle for having to put you through this!" Keefe ran a hand through his hair, "Being an Empath, it isn't..... easy. You don't deserve to have everyone's problems dumped on you all the time. You shouldn't have to feel this."

He gestured to his heart.

Foster looked up and gave him a sad smile.

"But, Keefe, I can handle it. I grew up knowing the hard truth from what my parents were really thinking- haven't I? And......... I'm used to everyone hating me."

"Nobody hates you," Keefe said softly.

Foster met his gaze.

With those beautiful brown eyes.............

But that was a dangerous thought to have out around a Telepath, so Keefe pushed it to the back of his head.

But it probably didn't matter because she was still taking refuge under the Great Foster Oblivion.

"You just got really tense- are you alright?" Foster said, her brow crinkled in worry. 

Keefe almost jumped. He really needed to get used to Foster interpreting all his emotions without touching him.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Keefe said, "No need to get all worry-y on me, Foster!"

She didn't look convinced, so Keefe tried pulling out a joke for the situation.

"I just had the thought that if Stina saw that you manifested as an Empath- wow, I would love to see her face!" he said.

Sophie smiled but her mood dropped to negative 90 when she said, "But... what would happen when Marella sees how I manifested? She was already so upset she hadn't manifested as one...."

So much for humor.

"Don't worry about her- she'll get over it," Keefe tried, giving Foster a playful shove, "Plus, you should be worrying more about me."

Keefe grinned when he saw her confused expression.

"You will never hear the end of it. Annnnnnnnd, I think that this may lead to some more major Fitzphie fails. That I absolutely have to watch."

Foster rolled her eyes, but was smiling again! A big wave of relief crashed over Keefe.

Good, this is good. Keep her distracted.

And speaking of distractions, the bell rang as prodigies everywhere rushed out of their sessions.

"Well, see you tomorrow in detention, Foster! It's a date!" Keefe called to her as she started walking away.

Foster turned and shouted back, "What makes you think I'll have detention?"

Keefe smirked. Her obliviousness was so hilarious sometimes.

"Because you just ditched! Don't even try to deny it!"

He stood there and watched her leave, his heart soaring.

Good, this was good. Maybe her new Empath ability wouldn't be such a problem after all.

A/N: Sorry for posting late! I didn't have much to say in this chapter BUT, I am changing my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love Tiana and Dex/Marella, but I also kinda like Tam/Glimmer, Linh/Dex, and Biana/Dex. I'll be happy whatever it turns out as.

BUT no one will convince me otherwise for Chandelfitz! I'll have to write a fanfic for that someday.........

I may be thinking of writing a fanfic through Gisela's pov after this. I think it might be interesting.

Happy Reading!

-will0w-tree