Chapter 19- Sophie

Sophie lost track how many days they had been in that room. She had stopped counting at 34. She rarely talked to Keefe anymore, she rarely talked. All Sophie did was think and think and count days in her head.

She was going out of her mind.

For the first time, the door squeaked open. Sophie looked up to find three cloaked Neverseen members standing right outside.

"What do you want?" Keefe said, harshly.

The Neverseen members didn't wince at the tone in his voice.

"For you and Miss. Foster to come with us," replied the one in the middle.

"Well, you'll have to fight for it!" Keefe said, jumping up.

No.

Sophie lightly put her hand on his arm, stopping him.

At her touch, Keefe sat back down slowly, looking at her.

What was it in his eyes? Grief?

She could only imagine.

All the fight left in Sophie had died weeks ago. She wasn't letting Keefe get hurt under unnecessary causes.

They both stood up slowly.

The Neverseen member on the left motioned for Keefe and Sophie to follow them.

Sophie walked through a hallway, numb. There wasn't anything left to feel at this point.

At the end of the passage, one of the Neverseen opened a door.

Inside, Sophie was thrust onto a chair, Keefe, pushed to the back corner.

"Well, hello!" cooed Lady Gisela, stepping out from the shadows.

She looked eerily triumphant.

Next to her was an ashamed looking Fitz.

"Finally," Gisela breathed, "My plan is slowly taking action."

She smiled at Keefe who scowled back.

Gisela stepped more into the room, her voice becoming louder and more carrying.

"Finally, I have a chance to alter this poor misguided world. With one key detail that will harness the future and twist the past."

She stopped before saying, "Sophie."

Sophie saw Keefe grit his teeth, he was about to strike.

"For a long time I've known how special the connection between my son and the Moonlark is. It is a power far beyond anything anyone has known. And now, Adrelices has strengthened it."

There again was that unfamiliar word.

Lady Gisela smiled wickedly and Keefe and Sophie.

"Oh, I presume you do not know what that is? Adrelices is a connection between only an Empath and Telepath far greater than everything. Even a Cognate connection. It was rumored to be only a myth. But then Sophie and Keefe performed Adrelices without even knowing it! It sent them to a new realm for a small stretch in time. Adrelices, in fact, is what pieces time together in our world. It will amplify both Adrerlic members' weakest ability. It can settle time."

Gisela stopped and smiled at the affect she had produced on Sophie and Keefe.

"And time is exactly what I need."

Gisela started pacing.

"Now I've wondered, how the world would be if I broke that connection, if I broke the fact that Keefe and Sophie ever met."

Sophie looked at her in horror.

"My dear, everything would change. So Sophie, say goodbye to my son because you won't know him anymore."

"No!" Keefe shouted, but it was too late.

Someone pressed their fingers on her temples. Her memories swam before her eyes, leaving before she could grab them.

Riding on Silveny.

Healing Center visits.

Them at the Panakes tree.

Their window pillow fights.

Keefe, laughing.

Keefe, fighting King Dimitar.

Keefe, telling her she was worth it.

Keefe, sitting on a bench in a Foxfire uniform saying, "You must be lost."

It. Was. All.

Gone.

Gone.

Gone.

A blinding flash of light, then darkness.

Gone.

Updated: 12/16/23