Chapter 23- Sophie

There was too much light. Too much noise. All Sophie wanted to do was sink back into her pillows, curl up in the space at the back of her mind, and hide there. Unfortunately, Keefe noticed Sophie's awakening and said, grinning, "So, the Mysterious Miss. F decided to join us! It's a shame that you had to miss poor Ritzy's trial."

"Oh please, can you not call me that," mumbled a voice with a familiar crisp accent.

Still smirking, Keefe said, "I am never letting that go."

Sophie sat up slowly, her mind whirring to fast for comprehensive thought.

She shook herself mentally and stammered out, "But, Fitz was with the Neverseen."

She looked towards Fitz and was felt a surge of sudden pleasure as he looked away, uncomfortable.

Sophie winced, but not from the pain restricting circlet, which was noticeably absent.

All around her, Sophie felt emotions or thoughts or feelings pouring in, leaving her to suffocate beneath them.

"Foster, you don't look too good, are you okay?" Keefe's voice rang out from somewhere.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sophie mumbled, "Just- Just a haze."

Keefe didn't look convinced.

Sophie turned back towards Fitz, not knowing what to feel.

Hate. Fear. Betrayal. Confusion. Those were good and all but she noticed something else definitely unexpected in the mix.

Grief and guilt.

"Miss Foster, glad to see you are awake," said Mr. Forkle, entering the room.

Sophie nodded slowly and tiredly. She really didn't have enough energy for a Forkle lecture.

Mr. Forkle cleared his throat.

"Well, I suppose I must cut to the chase to save a significant friendship," he said, looking wearily at them.

"Mr. Vacker is not responsible for his actions, which I have already explained to Councillor Oralie and Councillor Bronte. 

"What?" shouted Keefe and Sophie in unison.

"How could you say that?" Keefe said, glancing at Fitz, "I know it was definitely strange, but nobody could make Ritzy here do any of that."

"Actually, quite the contrary Mr. Sencen." Mr. Forkle interrupted, "As to our personal insights, there is a new member among the Neverseen. One who is a very powerful Mesmer, Inflictor, Telepath, and Pyrokinetic, and was able to force Fitz to turn against his friends."

Sophie's mouth went dry as stone.

Mr. Forkle looked gravely at Sophie.

"Timkin Heks."

A/N: Wow, unexpected plot twist! Ik this is very inaccurate, and I'm so sorry for such a short chapter! Also, I have been re-reading Kotlc, annnnnnnnnnnnd...... I've realized how incorrect this story is! So sorry! Hope to make this better.

Happy Holidays!

-will0w-tree