Chapter 21- Sophie

Sophie's heart rose triumphantly when she saw him, Lady Gisela's son, the one she had instructed Sophie to kill.

Sophie knew she wouldn't fail. She had killed everyone she was asked to with her inflicting. She hadn't cared that her eyes had turned red, as well as red veins started to show.

All that mattered was that she would take her rightful place as the Lodestar and defeat the Moonlark- Keefe Sencen.

She didn't give him a second to process what she had said. Sophie lunged at him, her hands held out in front of her, glowing red.

Keefe's eyes widened in pain as he was knocked backward into the grove of trees.

Sophie bolted toward him. Keefe, terrified, started to run.

As they all do.

He darted through the trees and over fallen logs- an excellent athlete. But it was no match to what she could do.

Sophie ran through the trees, letting herself phase in and out, not slowing herself down.

She caught up with the Moonlark. She jumped on top of him, pinning him down to the earthy forest floor.

His ice blue eyes a breath away from her own.

"Why aren't you fighting?" She breathed, summoning the final blow inside her, "They all at least make an effort."

He gave her a sad, weak smile that did not soften her.

"I told you before, Foster. You could never hurt me."

Something stirred inside of Sophie, but it was shut down with rage. Pure rage.

"I can hurt you! I can kill you! Don't you understand what I can do, Moonlark?"

"Yes," Keefe said smiling at her, "I think I would know my best friend."

Sophie felt grip slacken as she tumbled off of Keefe into a sitting position, not looking at him.

Keefe would probably kill her now that she had shown signs of weakness. But it didn't matter. Life was suddenly... hopeless.

"Hey," said Keefe softly, sitting up beside her.

Sophie felt a pull she had never felt before.

Her insides were screaming.

Don't let him get to you.

Don't start something.

Don't let your defense down.

It's all you have.

It's all you have.

But his eyes meant something to her. Keefe stroked a piece of her hair back behind her ear softly, gently.

It's all you have.

Sophie shut down her thoughts and let her gut take control.

"I don't even know you. But it's my job to kill you. It's not any different. I've done it hundreds of times before."

"Foster, I won't fight back. If you want to kill me, then do so. I won't stop you. I won't hurt you."

"Why?"

Keefe smiled.

Sophie looked away, knowing what she really was.

Weak.

Pathetic.

Machine.

Monster.

"Why me? I'm just a messed up person made to kill people."

"No, Foster."

Keefe took Sophie's hand.

"You are the Moonlark. You're the hero. I'm the one who was messed up in the first place."

"Then, why are we here?"

Keefe looked at her and said, "I don't know, but I'll find the way back."

He smiled, his ice blue eyes glittering. 

Ice blue....

They were growing closer and closer. Sophie felt her eyes flutter close as he leaned in.

Then it all came back, drowning her with the soft press of lips against hers.

Memories, confessions, life, hope, and dread bursting through her mind. Her heart grew warmer and warmer.

A flash of light. A glow blinding the world. Bigger than anything.

And then it was all gone as it rushed back to what it was before.

And Sophie forgot that feeling she had when she was kissing Keefe.

Updated: 1/27/24 (Yes, I did re-edit this chapter to include 1st Sokeefe kiss of this series!)