Chapter 4- Keefe

Keefe was running. A constant thought in his mind, willing him to go faster.

Faster

Faster

Faster

For Foster

Foster

Foster

He was running to the one place he knew she would be. Under Calla's Panakes tree. She was always there. And this time, he was really counting on it.

Keefe suddenly collided with someone, knocking her backward. Someone with shoulder length blonde hair and brown eyes with golden flecks in them, and was now sprawled on the ground.

Foster.

Keefe felt his face grow hot. Idiot. Why hadn't he seen where he was going before he ran into her? Keefe gasped as a tidal wave of emotions hit him. Confusion. Exhaustion. Pain. Plus a whole lot of fear. Next to her on the ground was a severely annoyed Marella. He backed away, definitely not wanting to feel her rage.

"Oh, uh, hi Keefe," Foster said, very flustered.

As she tried getting up on her own, Keefe offered her a hand a pulled her up. "Thanks," she mumbled as Marella stood up beside her, her eyes looking daggers.

"Um, where's Ro?," Foster said in that adorable way when she tried to pretend nothing was wrong.

Keefe groaned. He had forgotten all about his princess bodyguard, who had reluctantly went back to the Shores of Solace when the Forklenator told her to go so he could chat with Keefe.

He had completely forgotten to go back to her and spill what he had been lectured on to her. Foster was more important. Painful images flashed through his mind on whatever Ro was plotting to get him back for leaving her. He gulped and shook his head. Now was not the time to be thinking about that.

Foster looked very frightened and scared, and had that cute little crinkle between her eyebrows he was longing to stroke away. But no way was he doing that with Marella there.

"Hey," he said softly, putting his hands on her shoulders and meeting eye contact with her.

"What's wrong?"

Foster gulped and whispered, "Biana's missing."

Shocked, Keefe stood up and tore a hand through his messy hair, thinking. A pause of silence followed before Marella spoke.

"I'm going to go," Marella said to Foster, not looking at Keefe. "I'm going to ask Dex if he's seen her lately."

Foster nodded, looking wobbly. Marella took out a leaping crystal and was gone in a ray of light.

"Foster," Keefe said when she disappeared, "Its going to be ok. I promise."

"I'm fine, Keefe, really," Foster said, her emotions practically screaming the opposite.

"Foster," Keefe said, "You know you can't lie to an Empath right?" 

Foster scowled at him, a little of her regular self coming back. 

"I know that, but I can deal with it. There is nothing bothering me. We will get Biana back. No. Matter. What. Happens. To. Me," she said, her words containing anger to mask over her fear.

Keefe knew she felt she had to be strong. And it wasn't that she couldn't. It was that she shouldn't have to. 

So, Keefe did the only thing sensible in that moment, and wrapped her in a big hug. And let her fall apart on him, tears cascading into his tunic.

He stroked her hair softly, trying to be the best friend he could. A friend who cared

"I'm sorry," Foster chocked, "But I am so sick of losing people!"

"I know, Foster, I know," Keefe said softly, "But I'll always be here for you."

Foster looked up and gave him the saddest of tiny smiles. But it was all he needed. All he ever wanted.

He was about to open his mouth to tell her everything about the Phaser situation, but something held him back. This was not the time. Foster couldn't handle any more bad news right now. Just one step at a time.

Foster gently pulled away from him and sat up, holding her knees to her chest. Keefe sat down beside her. They sat there in silence, because Keefe knew she needed to have some time to think, and get her emotions under control.

Hours passed with nothing but the small breeze in the air for company. Then, in a flash of light Marella returned with Dex, Mr. Forkle, Linh, FItz, and... Biana.

Relief washed over Keefe as Sophie jumped up and ran to give her a hug. "Whoa, there, I'm ok, Soph- really!," Biana laughed weakly pulling herself away.

"What happened?," Foster asked.

"She and Linh were walking to Everglen when they stumbled into Fintain. Luckily, he was outnumbered and they were able to get away before the got seriously injured," Mr. Forkle explained.

"Marella found us heading over back to Everglen and hailed everyone, then came to find you. Really, it was nothing," Linh said as Foster ran over and hugged her too.

"But," Biana said looking at Keefe.

Keefe braced himself, knowing that whatever she was about to say had something to do with him.

"Fintain did mention that Sophie has a malfunctioned ability? Is that right?," she said, turning her gaze toward Mr. Forkle. Keefe flinched.

"Well, the truth is yes, unfortunately," the Forklenator admitted, and told them the whole story about Foster's broken Phaser ability.

"And I then I told Keefe and-,"

"Wait," Marella said, turning to Keefe. "You knew about this?"

Everyone's eyes turned toward Keefe. Keefe was trying to find something to say when Foster's eyes widened reproachfully as she said, "You did? And you didn't tell me?"

Her voice was mixed with hurt. Keefe felt his heart sink with shame.

"I- couldn't find the right time to tell you," he mumbled.

Fitz glared at him.

"You couldn't bother mentioning to Sophie that she's broken? She couldn't have gotten her hopes down anymore when she found out about Biana," Fitz said, annoyed.

Keefe repressed rolling his eyes with difficulty. Wonderboy was just so oblivious to Foster's feelings that he couldn't respect them? He obviously didn't care enough to not hurt Foster with his words.

Keefe shoved these thoughts out of his mind. Fitz was just trying to stand up for her. He was Keefe's best friend. Fitz and Foster deserved to be happy. Even if it wasn't with him.

Keefe directed his focus to Foster, who looked beautiful, and looked terrible. She was on the verge of tears and fear shone from her beautiful eyes, making Keefe's heart break. She definitely  deserved to be happy. But she always put others before herself.

As people started to leap away, Keefe saw something else in Foster's eyes. Determination, and that look whenever she was deciding to do something.

Keefe, caught her arm, turning her to face him before she followed the others.

"Foster, whatever your thinking of doing, don't do it, please," he begged.

Foster looked at him and said, "Keefe, I'm not thinking anything. Do you really think I'd do anything that stupid?"

Keefe nodded slowly, letting go of her arm.

Unaware that he was letting go of her, of Sophie Foster, forever.

A/N: Heh, heh, heh. Another cliffhanger! Can you believe I came out with both of these chapters today! I guess I had a lot of extra time on my hands! Anyway, thanks again for reading and keeping with me, the new fanfic author in town. I really appreciate you!

Happy Holidays!

-will0w-tree