36.

The night was tense

The night was tense.
Nari was still practicing, unleashing all the frustration and anger pent up inside her.
She hated that she just had to fall in love with the one person she was to not fall in love with.

Would it be helpful to just confess?
Get it off her chest and get it over with?
And eventually get over him? Was it too risky?
Would he hold on to whatever it was that they had had even more?

The punching bag swung back before slowly returning to her as her trainers bounced back onto the soft ground.
She panted, tightening the tape that she had tied around her hands for protection. With the back of her hand, she wiped a small droplet of sweat from her temple.

Returning to the corner of the vacant practice room to grab her water bottle, her eyes flickered to the phone screen that brightly lit up in the dim room. She liked to keep it that dim, as it mimicked a realistic combat environment.

Plopping herself on the ground, she picked up the device and checked the numerous notifications that showed up on her lockscreen, seeing that they were all from one person.
She hadn't opened their chat ever since they parted ways.

"Hope you're doing well"
"I saw you in the cafeteria today"
"Make sure to eat well"
- Delivered Yesterday

"Please at least read my messages"
- Delivered 6:58 PM

"So you don't remember what happened the other night do you"
- Delivered 9:03 PM

Nari sighed and shut her eyes tightly.
Of course she remembered.
She hadn't been able to get those drunken memories out of her head ever since brunch with her two best friends.
Turning off her phone, Nari took a few sips of her water, letting the cold liquid run down her throat.

Unaware of the numerous incoming calls flashing on her phone screen, Nari continued to hit the punching bag relentlessly.
Her heavy breaths filled the air until the quiet atmosphere was broke  by the heavy metal door loudly swinging open.

"Nari, we've been trying to call you, why don't you answer your damn phone?!", Renjun breathed heavily as he leaned against the door frame.

"Something's going on downtown, we just got called in."

"Yeah, we need you as backup.", Mark chimed in from behind.

Slowly, Nari let her arms sink; she hesitated.
"But- you guys know that I don't want to-"

"-We're not asking you to kill anyone", Renjun interrupted, "we just need you as backup, we don't know how many there are gonna be."