˗ˏˋ 14: Dex'ˎ˗

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw KEEFE SENCEN standing in my cousin's room, hovering over her and cupping her face with a worried expression. While she was having a seizure, may I add. I almost wondered why he was there but I really didn't want to know (Later learned that it was completely PG, no funny business involved).

I kicked him out so Grady wouldn't kill him (even though he might've been messing around with my cousin, I didn't want him dead. It'd be a mess for the kingdom) and quickly shouted for my aunt and uncle. Grady ran in with ruffled hair and a baseball bat while Edaline wandered in a moment later, completely calm. Both their expressions changed to fear when they saw Sophie.

I had gotten her onto the ground (so she wouldn't fall off her bed) and rolled her on her side (so she wouldn't choke), something I learned from I don't know where but I know it's supposed to help. Even still, her seizing had gotten worse. Edaline called an ambulance since that had never happened before.

Paramedics soon arrived in an array of flashing lights. Before I could even blink she was gone and I was in the car with my parents, driving right behind the ambulance.

"What happened?" My mom asked from the passenger seat, finally caving to her curiosity about the situation.

"Sophie texted me saying something was wrong and she really didn't feel good so I opened her window that's next to mine—we leave them unlocked so they can be opened whenever—and when I got into her room she was just seizing on her bed in a lot of blankets. I moved her to the floor and put her on her side since that's what you're supposed to do with seizing people."

"Dex's hero complex just got even bigger." Lex joked.

In the minivan my parents bought (they couldn't get a regular car since they had four kids), my parents sit in the front, Rex and I (as the more responsible kids) sit in row behind them, then Lex and Bex have to sit in the very back. No one is allowed to sit in the middle seat to avoid fights.

"Shut up." I leaned back and hit Lex's knee since that's all I could reach.

"Hey, no fighting. We've already got your cousin going to the hospital, don't need any of you to be there, too."

Bex sniffled from her seat behind me. "Is she going to be okay?"

I turned around the best I could to look at her. "Of course she is! It's just a seizure, people get those all the time. She'll be okay, you don't have to worry." I knew Bex was going to be upset about this, her and Sophie had a special bond as the girls of the family. She smiled at me through the rear view mirror.

We got to the hospital and pulled in right behind the ambulance, ending up in the ER with my aunt and uncle. A doctor came out a few minutes later asking for Sophie's family. We all stood up.

"So as you two know," he directed at Grady and Edaline, "she didn't stop seizing in the ambulance, but she did just a minute ago. Because of the length of the seizure, we've decided to run a few tests to see what would've caused it, but first we want to ask about her medical history. Is this her first seizure, or does this happen often?" After Grady responded by saying first, the doctor continued. "Okay, now is there any family history of medical diseases causing seizures?"

"Sophie's adopted, we're not her biological parents. Although from the medical records we have, we don't believe so." Edaline responded.

"Alright, I'll just have some of my coworkers check up on that. Since we don't have anything clear we're looking for, we're wanting to do a blood test, CT, and maybe MRI or EEG if nothing comes through for the previous." Grady and Edaline agreed. "Okay, I'll get back there and get those started right away. I'll also have another doctor come out to fill you in on the rest, we just felt this was most important for now."