10. Champagne

"Would you like anything to drink?" Jigi asked the couple. They seem to be on a date. They were in semi formal clothes.

"A bottle of champagne would do." The gentleman spoke with a courtesy smile. Jigi nodded and strides towards the kitchen. She was supposed to be on kitchen duty but Fumi decided not to show up.

Another employee called Amanda Bonneville, offered to take Jigi's place and  Jigi, Fumiko's place. Amanda was a French brunette with hazel eyes. She had a warm smile and a mischievous hint in her eyes.

She was always sucking on a confectionery of some kind. This moment she had a purple lollipop in he mouth. She pull it out and stuck her purpled tongue out at Jigi and she took the order from Jigi.

"Où est ton ami?" She asked. Amanda was brought up in France and she spoke more French than English.

"Je ne sais pas." Jigi said shrugging. She quickly took the ready order and strides out of the kitchen. On her way out she hears Amanda exclaim,"Sérieusement!"

Everything came back into the kitchen, Amanda tried to initiate a conversation but she kept on ignoring her. She could hear the teasing and mocking for whatever reason.

At the end of the eight hour shift, it was five in the afternoon, Jigi quickly changes out of her uniform and wore her cute flannel beige dress and her transparent black tights with mahogany brown knee leather boots and tied her hair in a high bun leaving her her neck adorned in golden jewellery to display.

Jigi took a step outside the diner and she heard her name being called. She turned towards the sound of her name and saw Amanda walking towards her in a short blacktop and a red faux leather trousers with her wavy brown hair on her shoulder.

"Hi! Erm, à plus tard et je ne serai peut-être pas généreux la prochaine fois." She said sauntered out of sight, leaving no room for argument. Jigi was incredibly confused but she had one thing one her mind.

The sun was disappearing in the Monday afternoon sky. Jigi kept dialling Fumi's cell but it either went to voicemail or it hangs up.

Jigi made her way towards what seemed like Fumi's house. She had never been there before. She actually looked through the employees records from the diner.

She found herself at a door, she pressed on the doorbell and waited. The door was opened by a woman in her early fifties. Her curly black hair was greying from the scalp.

Her baby blue gaze at Jigi taking in Jigi fully. She was in dark grin jumper and a worn out mom jeans. She had her hair in a mess. She cracked a polite grin and her honey voice spoke, "Hello?"

It's then that Jigi realised she was staring she swallowed her shyness and asked, "Is Fumiko here?"

"Yes. You must be Jigi come in." She welcomed her into the warm French country with a hint of Japanese traditional home aesthetics.

"Can I offer you a cup of tea, coffee or water?" She asked. Jigi felt relaxed. She asked for tea. She enquired where Fumiko was.

"Miko has the flu. She cooped up in her room." Fumi's mother, Laurel, ushered Jigi to her daughter's room.

"Miko, du hast einen Besucher." Her mother knocked and said to the person behind the door.

"No. I'm good." Fumi cheekily said from the room and Laurel sheepishly smiled and opened the door anyway letting Jigi into the room.

"Haha, ich habe nicht gesagt, dass es mir gut geht." Miko childish threw a tantrum. Laurel threw her daughter a stern glare and she turn to Jigi with a kind smile you girls have fun.

"You're cranky when you're sick." Jigi broke the silence first.

"Apparently so. That's why I like to keep away from civilisation." She shrugged pulling out a tissue to blow her nose.

"I didn't know you spoke German." Jigi stated.

"I actually speak four languages." Fumi says smugly.

"I see you're not at all modest about it." Jigi teased. Fumi chuckled.

"This is the first time I've laughed all day." Fumi and Jigi gaze at each other with a smile.

"To answer your question, I speak Japanese, French, English and German." Fumi listed.

"That's amazing." Jigi states with sheer excitement.

Fumi was bundled up in her grey beddings and she had a bottle of water and a box of tissue at her bedside.

"You could have called to work saying you are unwell." She suggested adjusting her nose mask. Laurel had handed Jigi a nose mask. She didn't want her catching a virus.

"I'm bored out of my mind. I missed classes. I wished the white blood cells are seriously working like the ones from Cells at Work." Fumi spouts out.

Jigi chuckles at the reference.
"Don't tell me you have a problem with anime." She glared at Jigi with a crease forehead. Jigi raise her hands to surrender and Fumi mumbles, "Better." Fumi yawns and then suddenly ejects, "Jigi can I become your roommate. I contribute to rent."

"Why do you suddenly want to move out?" Jigi asks gaze into Fumi's baby blue eyes.

"I love my mom. She's lovely and all but I want to show my parents that I'm matured." Fumi earnestly said and sinks into her bed.

"I would visit as much as possible." She says in between and with a yawn.

"My dad might not-" sleep swallows Fumiko's words and Jigi sighs and stood up from the bed and walk towards the door. She pauses at the doorway and silently looks back at Fumi and a smile cracks on her lips.

Jigi descends the stairs and makes her way towards the kitchen as she saw a silhouette of Fumiko's mother moving around.

"Mrs. Agawa, I have to go now." Jigi said as stirs a dish on the fire and she lows the heat.

"Would you stay for dinner, dear?" She offered wiping her fingers with a brown checkered napkin.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Agawa. Lovely meeting you." She says as she made her way to the door. Jigi briefly paused contemplating whether she should inform Mrs. Agawa or not.

She decided otherwise and exited the warm household. She waved goodbye and quickly made her way to the bus stop.