31. Detour

Wrote this chapter with this song Still With You by Jung Kook.
~~~~~~~~~~<~~~~~~~<~~~~~
The air was chilly enough to run a chill down Jigi's spine. The night was cold and eerie. She gaze at the man that stood in front of her and said, "Am I supposed to know you?"

Jigi stupidly uttered trying to make meaning of what was happening. She didn't even know what the man wanted or what his agenda was.

"You would after our conversation." He abruptly declared turn his entire focus on Jigi as he strode towards her leaving a fifty meter space between them.

"Let's get straight down to business shall we." He announced and elegantly tucked his suit.

"My name is Jerome Price. You have a offer for you. You're barely taking care you this property," he gestured to the bakery.

" I'm offering you a way. I can buy this thing and you can make a lot of money out of it." He stared at her in a way that conveyed superiority over Jigi.

" I'm not interested." Jigi abruptly answered waving her hand dismissively and made her way to the door to unlock it. The bakery was located on a lonely street. It shared the ground floor with three other

"Consider it young lady. You're being unreasonable." He said. Jigi could feel her face redden with anger. The fact that he thought he's doing her a favour and calling her actions unreasonable infuriated her.

" Listen up, John. I said I'm not interested." Jigi exclaimed madden with fur she made her way towards the door as she heard the hiss and flap his jacket. She felt a glare from behind however she ignored it.

She was ready for this random man. She opened the door and tried her very best to not worse the state of the bakery.

She made her way into the bakery without sparing the man any glance. She took a moment to recollect herself by taking deep breaths.

Jigi made her way to the administration room and tried opening the desk drawers. The room was dusty and stuffy. She scuffled through the drawer some more and stumbled upon a paper with a number on it, 4930. It had a bit of information on it at the bottom illegibly written.

It was an address for a storage facility. Jigi wondered what the odds were that she would the facility still hold the storage unit after fifteen years.

Jigi then sighs and slide to sit on the dusty floor despite the man's intentions Jigi realised that he was right. She sighs once more and leaves the bakery locking up. She made her way towards the address in the small parchment.

She was tired but she didn't want to wait anymore for life to happen. She locked up the bakery and made her way towards the apartment.

On her way, she took a quick detour towards the address written on the torn sheet. After all, she was impatient to know what she would find.

She strode beside a group of four gentlemen cackling and puffing smoke. The evening was drawing towards sunset beautifully colouring the sky with hues of red and orange and shades of blue.

Jigi stood in front of a storage facility. She could barely believe what she was doing at this point. She idly walked in like she owned the place. The facility was closed and a sign read No trespassing, however she could care less.

Jigi could feel her heart beating in her ribcage, bursting in her chest. What is she doing?, she thought. She could be arrested for this.

She kept her head down and hide in the shadows. The warehouse was vintage looking. There was a stray camera. She slipped in window that was open. She was slim in enough to slip through.

Jigi stood there straining her eyes to see in the dark. She slowly began to walk forward. In no time, her eyes were slowly adjusting to the darkness. The place was not light a sign of the close of the facility.

She took out her phone and switched on the torchlight function on her phone. She shone the light in the room. She found herself in the administrative office.

There was paperwork, papers and folders on the desk as well as a pen box a desk lamp and a name stamp on the desk. The room was small or rather packed and filled with shelves of documentation.

Jigi slowly creeped across the room. Her ears ringing from deafening silence. She took in a sharp breath and turned the door handle. The door cracked opened.

Jigi slipped through the door into the dingy hallway. She glanced at each doorway as they all had a labelling on them until she reached a door the read Safe.

Jigi turned the door opened and glanced through it. Inside, there were shelves of metal boxes attached to the wall. Attached to them were numbers.

Jigi quietly slithered through the door narrowly missing flash of light tailing her. She gazed up at the wall of shelves and began to follow the number in ascending order. She kept on walking straight as the shelves were self explanatory, given directions.

She soon arrived in the box that read 4930. She took the keys from her hoodie and with a a leap of faith tried the key to the locker.

The keys fitted. Jigi turned the anti-clockwise for whatever reason. In trepidation, Jigi pulled the box opened. A squeak was heard followed by emptiness and a light shone on Jigi as she froze.
~~~~~~<~~~~~~<~~~~~~~~<~~

Jigi found herself at the premises of a police station. She sat there motionless and hollowed eyed. After interrogations, Jigi sat there waiting for her roommate.

She had been questioned for her motives. The exchange between the officer and Jigi. A file was pulled out and the officer departed the office.

Jigi was contemplating whether or not she should make and exit or not. After all they had not bind her hands with handcuffs.

In her internal conflict and monologue, a different officer entered the room. He sat there in silence patiently and piercingly staring Jigi down. Jigi began to feel uneasy in her seat.

"I can explain. I didn't mean to trespass. My curiosity got the better of me. Je n'ai rien fait d'illégal." Jigi rattled on still being stared at.

"You are not in trouble Mademoiselle Lefèvre, well at least not yet." He said after a pregnant pause. He was a brunette in his early thirties. His intensely grey eyes could send chills down on spine seeing into their soul.

Jigi slightly tilted her head confused. The office continued as if sensing her confusion,"To clear your confusion, what you are seeking isn't in that box. It's not there but here. Your mother left the country way too quickly."

"I'm confused." Jigi voiced.

"Clearly. Mademoiselle Lefèvre you've been in the dark for so long. If you would allow it, we could open your father's file."

Jigi just sat there with the last words ringing in her eyes. Your father's file. What didn't she know she wondered.

"Officer, I'm sure you're mistaken. My father never did anything wrong. If I don't have any charges I'm allowed to live." Jigi stated.

The office gave an affirmation and Jigi didn't wait around any longer, she made her way home feeling tired and watched.