07 - A Talk Between A Father And An Uncle

Sekijiro sighed as he watched Yamada take the three teenagers upstairs to settle in before it was curfew. It had been a long day between moving and unpacking and from Aizawa's pensive expression it was going to be an even longer evening. The other teachers had given them ample room but we're still nearby to satisfy their own curiosities.

"What happened?" Sekijiro was the first to speak up.

"Her mother abandoned her after finding out what her quirk was. She's been surviving out there since she was 7. Sustaining herself off of stolen food and suicides," Aizawa was blunt in his reply but he knew that it was much better to be direct with the blood hero rather than dance around his words. "Nezu has been in charge of her therapy and she's been opening up more and is a bit more trusting. But she's still going to need a lot of time."

Sekijiro noticed what his coworker meant. Toga had been very tense as if ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. She was clinging to Aizawa's daughter and wouldn't let go of her hand. But it was her eyes that gave her away since they were always alert, catching any movements and always making sure the exit was unblocked. Even though it was an overall happy reunion for the two Sekijiro could not help but notice the facade his niece had built, the bubbly personality that bordered obsessive. A protective measure to keep herself from getting hurt, knowing that made his chest tighten in anger.

"This is my fault. I should have known something was off back then."

Nine years ago his sister had suddenly showed up at their parent's house in the dead of night without any prior notice. It was strange since she never arrived before checking that Sekijiro wasn't there and she always had her daughter with her. Yet none of those things were present upon her arrival. Instead she had a strange expression as if all her troubles had been whisked away. She didn't even mind Sekijiro's presence or rather she seemed to not notice him at all. She exclaimed that she had finally been rid of the curse that spread throughout their family before she disappeared just as suddenly as she came. They hadn't heard from her since then and the last remaining message they had was a text from her husband that they had moved overseas. Sekijiro had just assumed that her sister was overjoyed that her child hadn't gotten a blood quirk and left. If he had looked a little deeper then perhaps he could have found Himiko and taken her in all those years ago.

"Thank you Aizawa," Sekijiro gave his coworker heartfelt thanks, "thank you for saving my niece and taking her in!"

Aizawa was a bit uncomfortable at the show of gratitude but accepted it with a smile, "You should thank Izumi and Shinso instead. Those two have been more help to her than I have."

"Izumi is your daughter right? She seemed really close with Himiko."

"Only until she's graduated," Aizawa nodded, "after that she can freely choose whether or not to stay as my daughter. Himiko insisted on keeping her last name so she's only my ward until she's a legal adult."

"Oh so Izumi's just staying with you temporarily?" Sekijiro was curious about the girl whom his niece was desperately clinging to earlier.

"Her situation is complicated," Yamada joined the two once he came down, "Mom disappeared, Dad's never been in the picture, and she grew up Quirkless but suddenly awakened a blood quirk when she met Himiko."

"Honestly we know next to nothing about her other than that she has a soft spot for cute things and excels at strategy as well as analysis," Aizawa sighed as he thought about the children under his care. "Although I have a favor to ask you if you don't mind taking on the extra work."

"Want me to help the girls handle their Quirks?" Sekijiro asked knowingly, "Not a surprising ask with how rare blood quirks are. And I would have taken on that role even if you hadn't asked me."

"Good then we can start tomorrow!"

All the teachers present turned to find Nezu calmly drinking tea in the chair beside Sekijiro. If they weren't already used to it they might have panicked much like their first few months of employment.

"I will be overseeing the two girls while Shinso and Aizawa begin their more intensive training regiment!"

Nezu handed the three men sitting beside him a few manila folders containing an eight month program designed with each of the teenagers in mind. When he had the time to create this on top of his busy schedule is something no one would ever know.