S~ Snogging.

(Third year)

Barty and Evan sat in their dorm room, playing chess. It was just the two of them, as Regulus had gone to Hogsmeade with Pandora in search of new reading material. Evan had one every game so far, but Barty was determined to win at least once.

Eventually, they stopped after Barty had lost once again and decided to flip the board. He then jumped onto his bed, face first. Evan laughed at his friend's strange antics as he joined him. Barty moved his head slightly to look at the blonde boy.

"Hey Ev, let's play something!"

"Like what?" Evan asked, fixing his position on the bed a bit.

"Good question..... Oh! How about we have a staring contest?" Barty suggested, jumping up to sit by the other boy.

"Seriously, Barty? You pick a staring contest out of all games." Evan groaned, shoving ever so slightly closer to Barty.

"Oh, shove off. You wanna play or not?"

"Alright, alright."

Both boys turned to face each other, their eyes locking. Evan chuckled. He was very good at staring contests. He had never been one to lose. He gazed into Barty's eyes only to notice that the brunette wasn't maintaining eye contact anymore. Instead, his eyes had wandered further down Evan's face, at his lips.

The two sat in silence for a while longer. Barty had blinked multiple times already but continued to stare at Evan's lips. Evan reciprocated this with a stare of absolute confusion.

Suddenly, as quick as lightning, Barty leaned forward, placing his lips against Evan's. Evan's eyes widened, but he soon kissed back. The moment ended when Evan pushed away.

"Why did you do that?" He asked, his face red. He shoved further away from Barty on the bed.

Barty shrugged, but it was clear how embarrassed he was. "I don't know. I like you. You're nice."

Evan was flabbergasted. "Nice? You don't snog someone because you think they're nice!"

"Well, I'm bloody well not going to snog someone I consider a prick, am I?"

Evan rolled his eyes. "Don't sass me."

"I don't understand why you're getting so defensive! You kissed back! Why?"

"I-I don't know! It was an in the moment thing! I didn't know what else to do." Evan said, desperately trying to come up with a plausible excuse. He was a son of Rosier after all, he couldn't be seen with another boy.

Through his rambling, Evan caught sight of Barty's face. His cheeks were tinted pink and his eyes were watery. He looked hurt.

"Barty?..." Evan asked softly, inching ever so closer to the Brunette.

Barty didn't answer, instead he covered his face with his hands and turned away.

"Just forget it, Ev." He said plainly, laying down to face away from Evan.

Evan shoved up closer, so that he could see part of his friend's face. He noticed that Barty was crying.

"Bar–"  "I said forget it, Evan."

Evan was taken aback by this. Barty had never called him by his full name, even when they first met. He was persistent in giving all of his friends nicknames.

"A-Alright, Sorry." Evan got up slowly and switched across to his own bed.

The two sat in silence for quite some time. Evan had taken out a book to read, though he was doing anything but reading. His eyes were locked on his friend, who still had his back turned on him.

Barty was aware that Evan was staring at him, it felt as though there were holes being burned into his skull by the blonde's intense stares. His body stiffened when he heard Evan get out of bed.

All of a sudden, he felt his bed being weighed down behind him, and a shadow cast as the other boy leaned over him.

Barty closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep. He was terrible at fake sleeping,  but it was apparently good enough as Evan thought he was asleep. He felt bad ignoring his best friend, but he didn't feel like talking. Suddenly, Evan leaned down further and placed a kiss on Barty's temple.

[683 words]