U~Untitled

(I couldn't think of a title, so here 😭)

November 15th 1972– 1st year

"Why do you enjoy my company?"

"What?" A young Barty asked his new friend. Well, friend was pushing it a little. Acquaintance was more accurate.

The two had never truly "become friends", despite Barty's many attempts. Now, he had decided to follow him around, in case he ever changed his mind.

"You are always following me around, and always trying to initiate conversations with me. Why?" The smaller boy questioned, knitting his fingers together in a nervous fashion.

Barty jumped over the armrest, onto the sofa beside him. "BECAUSE, You're nice! You may be a little quiet but that's alright! I probably do enough talking for the both of us anyway–"

"You think I'm nice?" Evan asked, his voice barely a whisper. "Why exactly do you think I'm nice? I haven't really been that hospitable."

"Well, you surely have your reasons, everyone does! For example, you were the first person on the train that didn't tell me to piss off when I tried to be friends." Barty explained, moving his hands exaggeratedly.

"You move around a lot when you talk." Evan said absentmindedly, not showing any sign that he was actually paying attention to him.

"Yeah, I do, don't I?" Barty mumbled, going completely still apart from his leg, which was bouncing violently.

"Why do you?" Evan asked, taking an interest in withholding a conversation for once.

"I don't know." Barty said simply. he was happy that his friend finally wanted to talk to him, but he wasn't exactly thrilled with the topic they were discussing. "Mom said that it's hyperactivity, Father said it's because I'm still a child. So, I don't really know."

"I think it's quite fun." Evan smiled softly.

"Wait, really?" Barty asked, suddenly bouncing up and down lightly on his seat. "Nobody ever thinks it's fun. Most of the time, they say its annoying, and that I'm annoying."

"Why would they think you're annoying?"

"Full of questions, aren't you?" Barty laughed. Evan didn't reciprocate, instead crossed his arms across their chest.

"Sorry." He muttered, looking back at the floor.

Barty placed a hand on his shoulder. "What in Merlin's name are you apologising for?"

Evan looked up at the boy again. "Don't you tire of my questions? Father says that I always ask too many, and that's why Siri– my cousin, doesn't like me."

"I'm just happy you're talking to me! You have a really nice voice. Are you French? You have sort of a French accent, which I think is kind of cool. I mean, I pressume you're French because Rosier is a French name. It means Rose Bush, if I'm not mistaken, it's also the name of a fallen angel– Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You're rambling again." Evan explained, gazing at the other boy with wide sparkly eyes.

"Oh... I'm sorry."

"There's no need to apologise, I find you quite interesting. How do you know all that stuff about my Surname?"

"Oh!" Barty exclaimed. He'd never had someone show an interest in his rambling before. "For awhile, I was really interested in Pureblood family surnames. I spent most of my freetime studying their history and meanings. But that was a while ago, like... Two months ago. Now I'm interested in Magical Creatures."

"That's so cool!" Evan grinned, dropping his guard for the first time since he arrived at this school. "Do you want to talk about it to me?"

Barty jumped up and leapt back onto the sofa even closer to Evan. "Umm, of course!"

Word count: 600