P~Proposal

~Evan~

Today was the big day. I brought Barty to the fanciest restaurant I knew, La Gueule de Saturne.

I put on my best suit, and Pandora helped me tackle my curley hair. She also helped me rehearse what I was going to say and made sure it didn't sound too corny. She really is the best sister.

I picked Barty up at seven pm. When I say 'picked up', he was really just at the other end of the house, but Rosier Manor is quite large, so he might as well have been in his own home.

Barty opened our bedroom door, wearing the beautiful navy suit I had left for him. He looked so beautiful that for a second, I considered just doing it now, but I decided to wait until the right moment. I held out my arm.

"Shall we?" I asked, adopting my more posh tone. I never usually used it, only at formal events.  Barty laughed before taking my hand.

"You're so dorky!" He chuckled, shoving my shoulder. "It's a good thing I love you, or I would've died of embarrassment."

That felt like a punch to the arm. It didn't hurt a whole lot, but it stung, given what I was planning to do. We walked to the front door and aparated to a tight alleyway in a town in rural Endinburgh. It was quiet, with not many people in the streets.

We walked for a short period down the deserted street. Barty rambled on about his day as I listened intently. I loved listening to his stories as, no matter how boring it was, He always seemed to make it interesting.

I stopped outside the restaurant, grabbing Barty's hand to keep him from walking off.

Once we entered, I realised where the townspeople had gone to. It seemed as though the entire town were here, leaving no free tables. I sighed with frustration. Barty squeezed my hand.

"It's alright, Ev." He said kindly. "We can go somewhere else, I don't mind at all. As long as I'm with you."

I smiled appreciatingly. What I did to deserve him, I would never know. We tried some more restaurants and bistros, but all of them were either full too, or they were closed. I started to get pissed off. Tonight was supposed to be perfect, but everything was going to shit.

Eventually, I threw myself down on a tourist bench and buried my head in my hands. I couldn't quite see, but Barty was looking at me. With embarrassment or pity, I wasn't sure. I heard him walk off.

"Great." I muttered, leaning back on the bench. What was supposed to be a joyous day was turning out to be nothing but a disaster.

A few pitiful minutes later, Barty returned in front of me. He held out his hand and helped me to my feet.

"C'mon." He said, pulling me up the nearby hill. I was certain that he was finding a clear area to aparate us home, but I was wrong. On top of the hill was a small checkered blanket and a basket filled with champagne and sandwiches. I froze in place while Barty kept walking, dragging me along. He seated himself on the blanket and pulled me down beside him.

"See?" He said, leaning his head against my shoulder briefly. "I've told you before, you don't need to bring me to expensive places or buy me expensive things to prove your love. I just like being with you."

My mood quickly diminished once I heard those words. I leaned over and gave him a kiss. "Grazie amore."

He laughed breathily, those being some of the only words he knew. "Your welcome, Love."

After that, the evening went well. We ate the sandwiches, and we drank the champagne. Soon after that, we relaxed and watched the sunset. I lay with my head in his lap as he curressed my hair. It was perfect. Then came the big moment.

"Barty, can you stand with me for a moment please?" I asked, suddenly extremely nervous. He stood, dusting his trousers off. I stood in front of him and got down on two knees. I wanted to have the ring ready before I went on one. I put my hand in my pocket and... the ring was gone?!

I started to panic internally. Barty loomed down at me with confusion. 'God,' I thought to myself. 'This is such an awkward place to be in right now. This was usually Barty's position.'

I patted myself down one final time before collapsing into my lap. I covered my face with my hands as I sobbed. Barty crouched down in front of me.

"Darling?" He asked, placing his hand on mine. "Give me your hand."

I held it out to him and began to explain myself. "I just wanted tonight to be perfect but–" I paused and looked at my palm. There was the diamond ring. "How did you -"

"You dropped it when you got frustrated at the bench. I was going to give it to you, but I couldn't find a moment without it giving away that I knew."

I stood up, my eyes still watery but this time with joy and relief. "So, were you planning on answering or, or are you just going to stand there?" I asked hesitantly. Why did I ask it like that? God, I sounded so bitchy, after he just found my ring.

"Yes." He said simply, not moving from where he stood.

"What?" I questioned, perking my head up slightly.

"I said Yes!" He yelled, pulling me into a tight hug. "Of course I will, you tosser!"

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. It was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I kissed him hard and passionately. Once I broke away, I held the sides of his face with my hands.

"I love you so much, Bee." I whispered, staring deep into his eyes. He smiled, his cheeks a light pink.

"I love you too, Rose."

Word count: 1014