T~The aftermath

(This is a part 2 of S~Snogging)

The atmosphere of the dorm room could be cut with a knife. Barty lay on his bed, and Evan sat on his own. They were dead silent, neither boy wanting to say a word.

Evan didn't really understand why they weren't talking. Well, he did, but he didn't think it would result in them not talking.

Barty knew more of why they weren't talking. He was confused and too embarrassed to ask. Evan had told him that they couldn't be together, but then he kissed him when he thought he was asleep.
He was confused about the situation but he didn't want to disrupt their friendship anymore than he already had.

Regulus looked up from his seat at the edge of his bed. He clicked his tongue before standing up.

"Right." He said, picking up a small pile of books from his bed. "I know I usually ask for silence when I'm studying, but this silence is loud."

He looked between both of his friends as he headed to the door. "You two better have sorted... whatever this is, out by the time I get back."

Evan nodded, looking up from where he sat cross-legged on his bed. Barty shrugged weakly, a shrug that was barely noticeable with his position of lying face down in the mattress.

Regulus glared sternly at them, placing his hand on the door handle. "I mean it."
With that, he walked out of the room.
Both boys continued to be silent. Evan cast occasional glances towards his friend, who didn't pay any notice as he flicked his wand around his fingers. He sighed, scooting towards the edge of his bed.

"Barty.." He whispered softly. Barty didn't respond or make any gesture that he had heard him.

"Barty." He repeated, leaning forwards towards his friend's bed. Once again, Barty didn't respond. Evan picked up a pillow and chucked it.

"Barty!" He yelled, as the pillow hit the other boy's face.

"Ow!" Barty groaned, looking up and glaring at the culprit. "What the hell was that for!?"
Evan shifted. "You weren't listening to me."

Barty cocked an eyebrow questioningly.

"Barty. We have to talk about this.. awkwardness between us–"

"Let me stop you right there." Barty said, sitting up and raising his hand dismissively. "I know what you're going to say."

Evan sighed, his eyes dropping the floor in shame. "Barty.. I like you I really do but.. if my father catches wind of any of this, I'll be slaughtered–"

"Then why'd you kiss me?" Barty inquired abruptly, interrupting Evan once again.

"W-what? You, you were awake?" Evan spluttered, his words falling out in a messy blend. His face was so red that it was as though blood was going nowhere else in his body.

"That's besides the point." Barty rolled his eyes, sitting up further in the bed. "I want to know why you kissed me. I mean, you say we can't be together, yet you kissed me."

Evan covered his face with his hands. "I can't believe you were awake!" He complained, his voice muffled by his hands. He lowered them before speaking.

"I-I don't know. I'm gay, Barty, I'm gay. Father has seriously warned me that it is a sin and that I must marry a girl. But, but I just can't! I can't fake it!" Evan's yelled, his eyes shiny with newly forming tears.

"Screw what your father says! I like you, Evan. Like, really, really like you! And.. I think you feel the same as me?"

Evan chuckled weakly, tears dripping down his nose and over his smiling mouth. If Barty didn't know him well, he would've considered him a mad man.

"I've liked you since second year, you dumbass." Evan laughed, raising his hands to rub his rosy and tear-stained cheeks.

"Wait, really?" Barty asked, his voice packed with a genuine curiosity. He moved over to sit beside his friend.

"I'm surprised you never copped on to it."

Barty slowly moved his hand across the bedsheets, towards Evan's own hand, which was placed shakily on his thigh. He took hold of it and squeezed it. Evan gazed into his eyes.

"Evan, would it be alright if I... kiss you?" Barty whispered, rubbing circles on Evan's palm. Evan smiled.

"It sounds odd to be asked that." He chuckled. Barty glared at him impatiently.

"Oh haha, but seriously, can I?"

"...."

"Evan?"

Evan was silent.

"Evan."

Still, he remained silent. Barty rolled his eyes.

"Evan, serio–"

He was interrupted by Evan leaning forward and placing a desperate but soft kiss on his lips.

They broke apart for a moment and Evan smiled sweetly. It was a smile that made Barty swoon. He leaned forward again, catching Evan's lips with his.

Word count: 798