[Chapter Eight]

[
Enjoy
]

"No.. no... I don't think you could eat," you said nervously, easily trying to ignore the fact he would be willing to try to eat food he suspected to be... bad.

He let out a soft noise of dismissal. "I can taste, not really eat.." he waved his hand around slightly.

"Yeah... okay, you aren't having any.." You turned away from him, quickly intaking another piece of the... beef jerky.

His face formed a soft frown. He then sighed lightly before turning around to see if any of the children were bored or if he could join in a game of tag or something...

▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

"Naptime! Naptime! Gather your toys and sleeping bags and gather under the bridge in the middle!" Sun clapped his hands, catching the attention of all the sleepy kids.

They all looked at him, aside from Briar, who ran over to you and hugged your side. Sun was about to say something to her about being behind the desk, but decided against saying anything because she was your daughter.

The children placed down their little sleeping bags and pillows, placing their heads down, shutting their eyes.

You reached down and picked Briar up, holding her gently. Sun watched as you walked toward the wooden doors. He skipped over, his hand briefly hovering over the light switch.

"Y/N, where are you two going?" His head tilted to the side, curious about you leaving with Briar, when work wasn't over.

You turned your head to the side, looking at Sun with one eye. "Uhm.. lunch break.." You motioned toward the watch on your wrist, indicating it was nearly 12. Noon was lunchtime, and the kids would get their lunch after they woke up before they got to see a small puppet show before playing again.

"Oh! Well, okay! Be back after?"

"It's my job to be.." You nodded before leaving. The lights in the daycare are turning off the same time. Briar tensed up, clenching your shirt. Gently rubbing her back, you moved quickly out of the entire place, soon entering the main hall.

"Mama/Papa..." she murmured quietly. Her head looked up as she had a fearful look in her eyes.

You looked down at her, stopping your moments so you don't walk into someone. "Yes?"

"Pizza..?" Her head tilted to the side as her face grew a near innocent smile.

You, worried she'd say something bad, smiled and patted her head. "Of course, hun.."

There wasn't all too much of a walk to the food court. You had gotten your daughter a few slices of cheese pizza, letting her eat while sitting on your lap. As she ate her pizza, someone came and sat at the seat beside you.

"A daycare worker? Haven't seen one of those in a while," the person, sounding feminine, chuckled lightly as they leaned back in the seat.

You glanced over at her, her long blonde hair lightly swaying due to her movements. Her green eyes looked at you as you looked at her.

"Say, newbie, what's your name?" She leaned forward, placing her arms on the table.

You were about to speak until Briar looked at you, holding a slice of her pizza to you. "Briar, not now, okay? I'm talking with someone..."

She looked forward and just placed the slice down. "Okay!" Briar smiled and just closed her eyes, leaning backward against your chest. You then ran your fingers through her curly, blonde hair.

"So?" The guard asked with impatience.

You rolled your eyes, considering how rude she was. "Y/N. And, are you supposed to be a night guard? Why are you here midday?" You knew she was a nightguard by one thing. Her uniform.

Dayshift workers have the typical gray coloring. However, they have white shoulder pads and buttons. Rather than the black ones nightguards have. And those black ones were on the females uniform. Hell, the shoulder pads on your gray shirt were black and white, providing information that you weren't exactly a guard, but you kind of were.

"Indeed, but I figured I'd stay to watch the shows for today, and my boss said to greet you at some point," she shrugged slightly before holding her hand outward. "My name's Vanessa, by the way."

You smiled kindly at her, taking her hand and giving a rather firm shake. Although, as you did, you briefly noticed a faint discoloration in her eyes. You shrugged it off, thinking it was the lighting or your tiredness.

"Pleasure to meet you, Vanessa," you removed your hand from hers, going back to holding Briar, who you thought was sleeping.

She wasn't. And she had seen the discoloration, seeing how it turned purple. Briar had glared at Vanessa and immediately got looked at by her, making Vanessa chuckle.

"Must have a lucky man/wife.." she nodded her head toward the child.

You nervously chuckled. You didn't want to explain your life story, so you just nodded slowly. "Yeah... eheh.."

"Y/N, if you ever need help with anything, call me." She stood up as she slid a card of sorts to you. It was odd... you didn't know her. Why would she just give her number? And for what help!?

Vanessa took a soft glance at you before fully walking out of the area, heading toward the stage, probably to watch the show.

Although, you couldn't help but feel... oh, what's the word...? Weirded out? Yeah..

You felt weirded out by her. And so did Briar.

[
Heya!

So, I know Briar is your daughter, but there's a reason she's so important... I'll let you theorize.

And yes, Vanessa will, too, be important, I suppose, anyways..

Now then, have a great Day/Night/Evening, my fellow weirdos!

959 Words
]