Chapter 17

For the next battle, due to the odd number of students, I was allowed to join the fight between Iida and Mei.

Mei used poor Iida as an advertisement, not paying me any mind, as he was perfect for advertising her 'babies.' I watched, a bit bored, as all I did was dodge while she targeted the blue haired boy. He was being tossed and dragged around on the arena and in the air, stopping just short of the line every time it seemed he'd be taken out...but Mei never let that happen, making it all the more humiliating for Iida.

Not too long after, Mei cheerfully announced her departure and thanked everyone for watching, then stepped out of bounds....

She never intended to win, just to show off her gadgets and how they even work against people with 'heroic' quirks!

I stood across from Iida with my jaw slightly dropped. He looked so silly with all that gear left on him...Like he's some sort of used, heavily modified car.

Iida and I made eye contact, sharing a confused glance before looking away to watch as Mei left the ring, then back at each other.

"Well...that was weird." Ms. Midnight spoke up, chucking awkwardly as the camera panned over to Mei. "Whatever! (L/N), Iida, you are allowed to continue the match! Iida, you have permission to step out of bounds to take off the gear, but once you reenter the arena, the next time you step out will be counted as an out."

Iida tried to reach and take off the gear but seemed to have trouble doing it himself. I hesitated for a moment, watching his struggle. 'Should I really help out the guy I'm about to fight?' I questioned myself, turning my attention to the big screen displaying Iida's struggles in taking the gear off. He's been through a lot in the past 10 minutes...

'I should help him.'

I walked over and helped him take off the gear, handing it over to him so he could put it aside. He looked at me in awe, thankful that I spared him from future embarrassment.

"Why thank you, (L/N). That was awfully...sweet of you." He smiled in appreciation, clearing his throat and pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"(Y/N) is fine."

After he set his gear aside, we readied ourselves, getting into our fighting stances and waiting for Ms. Midnight to announce...

"Begin!"

Iida instantly came running at me and I barely dodged, and by dodge, I meant That I front flipped out of the way. I landed on my toes in a graceful pose, he turned to me in confusion. He ran again, but like earlier, I moved to the side, sticking my foot out and tripping him. He fell face first into the concrete floor and slid just a bit.

I winced, knowing that really must have hurt.

He didn't get up and it caused me to worry, so I knelt on the ground beside him.

"Are you o-" He didn't give me time to finish as he elbowed me in the face, making me fall onto my back and giving him time to stand.

My face felt hot and like static, and when I looked up to him, I noticed a drop of blood trickling down his nose, and one of his lenses had shattered from the impact.

He looked to me apologetically and picked me up bridal style.

'Is he about to carry me out of the arena?! Oh HELL no he isn't.'

I swiftly pulled his hair and punched his throat, causing him to drop me onto the ground and reach for his own throat. He looked to be in immense pain once again I felt bad for the guy.

'There's quite literally no way I'd be able to beat this dude with just my body alone.'

I knew what I had to do. It started off as a small hum to gain his attention, eventually vocalizing. My hair lifted just a bit and began to move, as if a soft wind was blowing it behind me.

Iida locked eyes with me and that's when it was sealed, he stood there almost lifeless. I slowly walked over to him, grabbing his hand and walking to the edge of the arena, making sure he stepped out before I could.

I stopped vocalizing and that's when I had noticed...the crowd was silent.

There wasn't a single cough, cry, cheer, or laugh to be heard. It was pure silence, and everyone within 300 feet of me looked down at me. I was a bit nervous but remembered that they aren't really in their own mind.

I blinked, snapping Iida and everyone in the crowd out of my song.

Ms. Midnight blinked multiple times as if trying to better understand what had just happened.  "And the winner is...(Y/N) (L/N)?" She said with a questioning tone as she scanned the arena, scratching the back of her neck.

The crowd was confused much like her and Iida, but yet slowly clapped for me anyway.

"I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU DID- BUT IT WAS AMAZING, (Y/N)!" I looked up to my class and saw Kaminari had been the one to shout the support, and my classmates eventually cheered alongside the blonde. I felt myself smile.

"Congratulations, (L/N)." Iida spoke up, fixing his hair as I approached him by the gate. "You...did great." Iida complimented me, an upside-down smile on his face, clearly a bit hurt by my sudden victory. He had been humiliated twice in one go- toyed with by Mei, sneakily taken out by me.

'I really hope I didn't just ruin a potential friendship by winning...then again he did trick me into wanting to help him up.' I thought in attempt to reassure myself, frowning a bit as he continued to walk off. I sighed, following his path back to our class after putting a bit of distance between us. I feel it'd be a bit rude to try and act like I didn't know he was upset. I also don't want to point out that he'd upset by the loss- silent acknowledgement might be the best way to go about this for now...