Chapter 9

His statement caused me to cough awkwardly, and I looked straight down to my lap. Before I could even respond to my parents, Denki cut in with a smile.

"Not yet! Pretty soon though, I'm working on it." He said proudly, grabbing his utensils and cheerfully swinging his legs under the dining room's table.

My jaw dropped and I felt myself begin to blush. 'No way did he just say that to my parents!'

I looked back over to my mom and dad to see how they reacted...well, let's say they were pleasantly surprised. My father finished serving the food for us all, and the first few minutes of dinner were in complete silence. My parents mumbled to one another, occasionally glancing over to the two of us. It's pretty clear they're talking about us...

Their conversation worried me so much. They didn't seem upset at the start, but maybe they were just being polite...I frowned, swishing my cup of lemonade around. I don't want them to get upset and keep us apart...not when I feel like things are going so well.

I was trapped in my own world of negative thoughts and 'What ifs' until Denki lightly tapped my leg from under the table with his foot. I faced him, and he looked as worried as I did.

"I was just messing around, I didn't think they'd uh...take it seriously." The blonde leaned to my ear, whispering with a mouth full of food. I almost smiled, he's such a dork.

"Don't worry about it, I'm not sure if they actually took you seriously." I whispered, looking back over to my parents as they stared at us. "....Well, that's what I hope."

Denki and I smiled at each other for a good few seconds, his smile reassuring, mine lacking that confidence that he had. He was always so bright, and it felt right to just be near him.

~~~~

After the long dinner, I walked Denki to the front door and waved him off, my parents gentle footsteps approaching out front door and when I looked behind me. They were waving goodbye too.

'I suppose they really like Denki....thank god they weren't upset over what he had said.' I thought to myself. Knowing they really like the kid I like made me feel better— they used to be so strict about the boys I met....but they way they treat Denki with so much kindness really goes to show how amazing of a guy he is.

I happily ran up the stairs and into my room, changing into a tank top and some pajama bottoms. I got comfortable in my bed, holding my favorite stuffed animal close to my chest and almost falling asleep. Then my phone buzzed.

I tried to ignore it at first, I could always answer it in the morning...

'Sleep? Notification....Sleep...? .....Notification! Who knows, maybe it's Denki!'

The excitement of Denki texting me so late finally got to me. So, obviously I gave in, reaching for my phone and checking my messages.

1 new message from Kaminari Denki

'You up?'

'No.'

'Cool! Glad I can be of service'

'What do you want?'

When he didn't respond, I got worried that he took my message the wrong way. One of the really horrible negatives about text is that you can NEVER really tell someone's tone or face while they make the message.  

'Nothing! Just wanted to wish a pretty girl good night~'

I sighed in relief, thankful that he responded and didn't take my message the wrong way. I felt my lips curl up into a smile, holding my phone to my chest for a second before responding.

'Well, good night to you too, pretty boy.'

~~~~