3. A Proposal

• Dedicated to Maxime-Gabrielle Malik Duchemin-Bruno

Lena Rose Winter

So, are there more chickens than eggs in the world? Or is it vice-versa? I wondered, twirling a new pencil in my hands.

Theoretically, every  chicken laid  in average 300 eggs every year. If multiplied by the number of hens there was in the world, which was 16 billion, that would be a lot of eggs.

Therefore, a lot of chickens.

Mr. Johnson, our fabulous English teacher, had been gibbering and jabbering about Shakespeare's plays, and the ingenious way the playwriter always chose to end them; in tragedy. Unfortunately for me, he was so absorbed in what he was talking about that all the talking going on in the class was chosen to be ignored.

"And then she, like, totally told him to shut up, but he kissed her and now they're back together. Isn't that cute?" blabbered Stacy, not waiting for an answer.

She simply continued on and on and on. At the moment, Stacy felt that it was important to fill me in on every single person in this school's life. I swore, if she had a slightly higher IQ, she'd be perfect for the FBI. Her researches were thorough and precise, even though they were completely futile.

You have no idea how much I want to tell you to shut up and go live on Mars, but I'm polite, I thought, pursing my lips. I closed my eyes and willed myself to ignore her.

"Lele! Lele!" whispered the blonde girl, a tone of urgency in her voice. 

Ignore.

"Shakespeare's plays are now displayed and portrayed by every single theater in the world!" said Mr. Johnson, admiration written across his wrinkly face. I felt a warmth enter my heart at how passionate the old man seemed to portray.

"Lele!"  She poked me repeatedly.

Poke me one more time, I dare you, I mentally threatened, keeping my eyes on the cursive , perfectly written Shakespeare on the white board.

Poke.

"What do you want?" I turned to her, shouting in a hushed voice.

"Mark has been looking at you," she informed me flatly, jealousy beaming from her. Confusion flooded over me. 

Mark.

Who in the world was Mark?

"Uh, I've been here for almost a week. Who's 'Mark'?" I questioned, curious. Stacy's glossed lips formed a small "o". She let out a small gasp. 

"Oh em gee. Mark Walters is only the hottest, most popular guy in school!" exclaimed Stacy loudly, a dreamy look settling on her face.

And when I said 'loudly', I mean loud enough for the whole class to hear her.

Mr. Johnson's lips went into a thin line. He was clearly disturbed that we interrupted him.

"Winter and Hennings, are you done fantasizing about Mr. Walters?" drawled Mr. Johnson, strictness dripping in his words. If looks could kill, Stacy and I would've died the second he looked at us.

Face getting red? Check.

Palms getting sweaty? Check.

Getting embarassed on my first week here? Double-check. 

"Yeah, Lena, you fantasizing about me?" said a deep voice. I could feel the cockiness dripping in his words. Turning towards the source of the voice, I mentally released a gasp. 

Green eyes twinkling in amusement, brown hair, strong jawline. Not a hair out of place. His lips were in a smirk. Holy macaroni.

Pride, your pride Lena, I reminded myself. If you continue checking out every guy in this school, this year will not end well.