17. Girl Days

“A best friend isn’t just someone who’s always there for you. It’s someone who understands you a bit more than you understand yourself.”

Lena Rose Winter

Today was Friday, and everyone had school. The girls complained, and the boys couldn't care less. Well, obviously, they didn't have to prepare for perfect hair, makeup that took hours to master.

 The thing was, I didn't have anything to wear. I was horrified. All I had was a dress that was two sizes too small, that I'd worn at Valentine's Day, 3 years ago.

I wiped the sleep out of my eye, taking the Cheerios box and shaking some into my bowl. My mom was still asleep, which was really strange. Ever since Tori came into our lives, she'd always been going out in the afternoon and coming back after midnight. Frankly, curiosity was killing me, but I decided to give her time.

 She'll probably tell me at one point in life.

Ha, as if. I was determined to have a talk with her, but after the dance.

Tori was suspiciously eyeing me, she looked as if she'd forgotten something.

"What are you wearing for the dance, Lena?" asked my sister, as she poured milk on her cereal.

I shrugged innocently. "Noshing," I accidently spit a bit of milk on Tori. She gave me a death glare, then took a napkin and wiped my spit off her shirt.

"First, do you have any manners? It's extremely rude to speak while eating. Now, finish munching the bloody food and give me a real answer."

I smiled. Taking my precious time, I chewed and chewed and then swallowed.

"Finally, now, do you have a dress or not?"

"Nope."

Tori froze for a second, it took her time to process my answer.

"Earth to Tori," I said, waving my hand in her face.

 Then, she gasped loudly.

"Lena Rose Winter! How in bloody hell do you consider yourself going to the dance? In your penguin pajamas?" She yelled, making me jump in the air.

I held my hands up in surrender. "Calm down, woman. I'll figure something out."

"What do you mean? Americans these days. Are you sure you're a girl? Honestly, all I see in movies is women always freaking out about how they have to look perfect."

I rolled my eyes, slightly annoyed. “Shut up."

Hurt flashed in her eyes, then she recomposed herself quite quickly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that!" I sighed, feeling guilt washing over me. Tori stuck her tongue out.

I grabbed my bag, heading for the door.

"Come on, we're going to be late for school. I'll figure something out later."

A hand clutched my arm, I turned to face Tori, who had a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Uh oh, not good.

"No, missy. You ain't going anywhere. We're going shopping,"

My eyes widened. "Tori. We have school. I'm not skipping it just because of a stupid dress."

She raised her eyebrows, as if daring me to challenge her.

"Oh, don't look at me that way," I exclaimed, cowering a bit. That did nothing but intensify her glare.