Waiting

"I really wanted to say that um- I think that (slowly) it's really nice that you won this certificate." Eklavya slightly blushed.
"Ohh oh that yeah, thanks" Radha poured the tea.
"Can I see it?" Eklavya asked
"Yeah, um, its over there on my study table." Radha pointed took one cup of tea in a tray out to her room.
Eklavya picked up the certificate and Began reading aloud,"Radha Kashyap, the daughter og Mr.Neeraj negi- that's your father's name?" Eklavya asked
"It sure is" Radha replied as she put forth the teacup to him.
"And you are Kashyap?" Eklavya took the cup and taking a sip, he said"umm" and took sips repeatedly until he burnt his tongue.
"Slow down Eklavya." Radha said, finally smiling and giggling.
"Its actually very nice? Why aren't you having some?" Eklavya said
"It has sugar in it. I don't eat sugar." Radha replied.
"You've made such a nice tea and now you can't have it. Thats, sad"
"Tsk, its not sad. Its just tea. Just tea" Radha replied, her smile fading away.
"So yeah. Anyways, uhmm. Are you be here all winter?" Eklavya asked gaining a rather abruptly look from Radha
"Nami had just asked me this." Radha replied
"But you didn't answer politely." Eklavya winked
"Yeah, whatever." Radha replied. Eklavya came and sat next to her on her single bed. He was just looking at her all this time and Radha was just staring at her flooring.
Eklavya softly asked her,"is this because of the exam today?"
Radha stopped breathing a moment and answered,"is it that evident?"
"Yes it is. But you know what did Namrata didi say when you left the room?"
Radha looked at him with her timid yet luminous eyes
"I think we should take her to perform in that city hall for the winter fest.' I was there Radha, and trust me the examiner sir didn't even notice that you made a mistake and that Thumri you did in the end sure garnered appeal. 'Chaddo chaddo re bihaari' " Eklavya started doing the same expressions Radha gave while performing gaining a laugh from her.
"I don't dance like thiss" Radha pointed at the poor dance of Eklavya.
"No you don't. You're better." Eklavya said. Radha sighed and looked at Eklavya
"There is no point in sulking here. Come, let's go out. Its only 4:30" eklavya got up and lent Radha a hand.
Radha grabbed her wallet, switched off the geyser and went behind Eklavya and stood in front of his bike.
"You sure?" Eklavya asked as he mounted the bike. Radha simply got on the bike behind him and fixed her dupatta. She held the back handle and put one arm around Eklavya's chest, clenching his shoulder.
Eklavya sat there on the bike giving it a thrust, while blushing so hard, that it was difficult to conceal it. He started the bike and Radha jumped a little. Her grip tightened. He started the bike and was expecting a shriek from behind, however Radha just sat there quietly controlling her urge to scream. She was still scared. The whole ride they both said nothing.
After sometime, Eklavya stopped the bike near a quiet place. Somewhere afar where no one could see them.
Radha got down and helped Eklavya get down.
He took off his helmet and Radha gestured him something. Unable to comprehend, she took her own handkerchief out and wiped his his face which was full of sweat and kept it inside her small pocket.
They both started walking slowly and walked on the side of that road, which was not visited much often.
"Its my mother's surname." Radha said, breaking their silence
"Hmm?" Eklavya didn't pay her a look
"Kashyap is my mother's surname." Radha said
"I thought children take up their father's name." Eklavya exclaimed
"The place I belong to is a matriarchal village. It means-"
"That the husband leaves his home and lives with the wife and her parents" Eklavya smiled at his knowledge
"Yeah. Not many people know that" Radha chuckled
After a moment of silence Eklavya replied.
"I guess I need to start packing now."Eklavya chuckled
"Why uh?" Radha asked, somewhat bewildered
"If I want to marry someone in your village." Eklavya laughed
"No no, its um- a mutual thing. Its upto the bride and groom. They can choose to live alone as well" Radha chuckled
"That's a relief?" Eklavya Said whilst walking on the barren road.
"I think we should turn back. I can smell dacoits here." Radha mentioned
"You smell dacoits?" Eklavya asked playfully, turning back.
"You know what I meant to say."
"Yeahh" Eklavya was trying very hard to stop smiling
"So? Who are you planning to marry?" Radha flicked her eyebrows, smiling
"No one. That was a joke." Eklavya cited.
"I know, of course. But you must be having someone in mind." Radha replied scratching her nose.
"Ummm- nooo. Do you?" Eklavya asked
"No." Radha replied looking forward.
"I'm sure there must a lot of suitors." Eklavya asked her
"I want to first get settled. Maybe around the age of 25 or something is good for marriage though." Radha replied
"That's justified" eklavya looked at her with hopeful eyes.
"How old are you Eklavya?" Radha asked
"21" He replied. He was looking at her as if he wanted to say something but just couldn't.
"That means 1975 huh. Okk" Radha exclaimed
"Your? I mean if you don-"
"1978. Do the math" Radha said.
"So you're 19?" Eklavya asked.
"18! How bad is your math" Radha slowly hit his arm
"No I mean 1997 has already come, so by that virtue you are 19"
"Then you're 22" Radha smiled broadly
"Not until November" Eklavya raised a finger.
"Oh yeah" Radha replied holding her stomach
Seeing that Eklavya decided to take her to a nearby stall
"Come let's go and eat something" Eklavya suggested.
"Sure" Radha followed him to a much busier area.
They Saw a food stall and Eklavya told them,"two samosas please. And a tea. One without sugar" emphasising on the last part.
"Radha sat on the bench and Eklavya sat next to her.
While their snacks were getting ready, Eklavya asked her,"so tell me about your family"
"Well there's seven of us. Two brothers, us three sisters and amma-papa."
"That's a lot" eklavya commented
"Bhaiya is a English teacher in a government school, you know portmore?" Radha said
"He teaches there?"
"Yeah. And my sister, well, she teaches primary school kids in the Navodaya school; my younger sister and brother are still in school" Radha halted as their snacks arrived. Eklavya went to grab them and gave Radha the teacup in her hand.
"Again?" Radha asked as she took the teacup.
"There's no limit for Chai" Ekalvya sat down proudly taking in a sip.
"Is it too late now if I ask for some sugar?" Radha asked him meekly.
"Bhaiya, thodi shakaarr Dena (excuse me, sugar please)" Eklavya yelled making Radha embarrassed.
"What about your family Eklavya?" Radha asked gently taking a bite
"You know about my family." Eklavya chuckled.
"I Mean, your mother and father like your life in Shimla and all. Only if you're comfortable." Radha mentioned
"Yeah I stayed in Shimla till I was fifteen years old and then I came here to Delhi to live with mama-mami." Radha nodded her head
"Ravi is 4 years younger, no?"
"3 and a half, yeah." Eklavya said
"You must be really close with him" Radha added.
"Well, every sibling is close you know." Eklavya claimed
"I meant that since me and my elder sister are the closest in age, I'm really close with her." Radha added
"Not your brother?"
"He is like a father figure you know." Radha mentioned
"You know, back in my village, when we all used live together, my younger brother, Manoj, we both were inseparable companions." Eklavya said sipping in his hot tea.
"You used to live in your village?"
"Yeah, until I was four and we all moved to Shimla, you know for obvious reasons." Eklavya said.
"That's nice." Radha mentioned and got up taking out her wallet to pay for her the samosa and seeing that Eklavya quickly got up but before that Radha had Paid for both of them.
"Why did you pay for it?" Eklavya asked slightly loud.
"Soo, what?" Radha laughed.
"I should've paid. Acha, wait here for a second, I'll be back." Eklavya ran to a nearby sweets shop. He came back with small brown little bag.
"Put out your hand." Eklavya asked Radha. She hesitantly gave out her hand and Eklavya put a small peice of Besan ki burfi on her hand.
"You got this for me?" Radha asked.
"You said you like it the best." Eklavya said just as Radha took the piece and fed Eklavya with her own hand saying,"aap bhi khao, Eklavya"
Eklavya heavily blushed and ate the piece.
Radha took the packet and looked him with her sharp piercing brown eyes.
Breaking the ogling session, Radha moved towards his bike and Eklavya came behind her.
She say behind and Ekalavya sat in front and Radha clenched his shoulder again.
Eklavya and Radha gave each other a look and he thrusted the bike. The bike started and he could see her face through his rear view mirror.
Radha's fear made her clench him harder and despite the pain of her long nails, he made no complaints. He could only feel her soft hand on his sturdy collarbone. They went all way silently.
They were back and Radha got down from the bike.
"Umm- so see you" Radha said
"Yeah see you tomorrow." Eklavya managed to speak that without blushing.
"Wait"Radha took her red dupatta and put it around Eklavya's neck like a scarf
"What are you doing?" Eklavya asked
"Oh, Eklavya, I left my dupatta on your bike?" Radha said, smirking
Eklavya looked at with narrowed eyes and smiling uncontrollably. He couldn't say a word and took the dupatta and put in his pocket and said,"Oh yes Radha, I found it. If you want you can over tomorrow to get your dupatta." Eklavya smiled.
"I'll see if I can. Bye for now." Radha said as waved him
"Byee. See ya." Eklavya waved and went towards his house, holding the dupatta in his hands waiting. Waiting for the next day.