8

I was sitting at my kitchen counter, sipping on my coffee to wake myself up a bit more on this rainy, shitty Sunday morning and scrolling through instagram like most of the people.

I heard footsteps and I figured it's my father or my mother, so I didn't bother looking up. Not until I heard a gasp.

I looked up and locked eyes with a girl I know all too well.

'Well, if this isn't a surprise.' I smiled and put my mug down, leaving my phone on the side as well

'I - You - what are you doing here?'

Poor girl was frightened, nearly shaking from nervousness, her cheeks flushing red in embarrassment.

'Well, I live here. The old man you were doing last night is my father, Ameyu. Not sure how you didn't figure that out.'

This girl is in the same class as me. And she is failing. Badly. She is also one of those who got on my case about getting into the law school through my father. I do love the hypocrisy and, in this case, karma and leverage.

'Shit.' She cursed silently

'So... Are you that desperate?' I smirk at her. 'You must reeeally want to pass the semester.'

'Okay! I got it!' She raises her hand to stop me. 'How about a deal?'

'This should be good.' I chukle, motioning for her to continue

'You don't tell anyone about this and I'll never say a single bad word to you or about you again.'

'No.'

'What?!'

'Let's see.' I cleat my throat. 'I, for one, do not care about yours or anyone else's opinion. Two, I gain and lose nothing with you badmouthing me as my grades are not coming from anyone but my own hard work, so you not talking about me changes nothing. However...'

I paused for a few moment, noticing the sweat beads collecting on her forehead, and her constant swallowing of the saliva from the nervousness. Man I love getting on people's nerves...

'...my words have a lot of effect. If I decide to say something, that is.'

'No they won't. There is no proof of any of this. Why would anyone believe you?'

'But I do have proof, my dear Ameyu. If you took the moment to look around, you would notice all the cameras we have set up on the entrances and hallways. After all, the house is filled with expensive and valuable things. A safety measure. You understand.'

More colour drained from her face as she got her argument squashed down in an instant.

'And do you want to know what the worst thing of this all is?'

'Please do enlighten me.'

'You did it for nothing.' I chuckle. 'He won't lift a finger to help you. He doesn't help anyone.'

'That's not true. He promised. He said he would.'

'Mhm. He said so. Tell me, did you sign a contract?'

Her thin eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she was listening to me, and then she responded with a single word that sounded more like a question than a statement. 'No...?'

'Mmm. So, why would or should he help you? There is no contract. There is no binding word that guarantees anything he might have said, and you have no proof he said those things, do you?'

'No. He promised. He did.' By her reaction, I know he did, but unfortunately for her...

'Maybe so, but it's your word against his. And if you put the two of you against each other, a 22 year old failing law student, and a 46 year old veteran lawyer, who do you think people would believe first?'