23. The "surprise"

We reach our building, and have a very awkward elevator ride.

He stands behind me, and impatiently keeps shuffling his feet.
He rests an arm against the elevator door on his right side.

I stand stiffly in front of him, not wanting to turn around.

We reach our floor and I hurriedly get out.
But just as I'm about to reach my door, he grabs my arm from behind.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Are you mad at me" he asks.

I think about it for a moment.

And without wanting to, say
"Yeah", and pull my arm away from him and enter my apartment.

I went home and completed the project that we were supposed to complete together.

The last thing I'd seen when I shut the door on him was his disappointed face looking down at his feet.

Why does HE get to be mad and disappointed when it's ME he's messing with?

I regret going out today.

I dont get it. What does he even WANT.
Why does this keep happening? My heart needs a break desperately. I'm tried of feeling overwhelmed whenever he's around me, whenever he gets- close to me.
Like, awfully close.

Why does he do that only to treat me like a friend? I guess we'll never know.

_____________________________________

Three days later.

I nervously walk beside Shoko, and for the first time it wasn't caused by the anticipation of coming across Satoru.

It was because our professor said he had a "surprise" for us today.

Usually it ends with us having triple the work load and of course, never ending assignments.

I thought I'd have a hard time trying to avoid Satoru , but he made it easier for me by cooperating and not approaching me himself.

Call me petty, but I sure didn't like that.

We enter the classroom, and I'm surprised to see that Satoru wasn't seated yet.
He was, well, surprisingly aways early and was always seated before we entered.

Whatever, why do I care.

It's none of my business.

I am still reeling from the after effects of being blatantly ignored by him for two whole months, like a convalescent person.
He doesn't get to show up, and well, make me forget everything.

I think about him to myself despite warning myself not to as Satoru enters the classroom.

And weirdly enough, he didn't have any expression on his face.

Usually, he has the following expressions whenever I see him in class at first glance-

1. Irritated and rolling his eyes at the professor.

2. Being excited upon seeing me, hence having a bright smiling face.

3. Having the drowsy sleepy expression because God knows what that man does instead of sleeping at night.

If only he was that easy to read when it came to- well, me.

But today, he had the blankest expression ever.

The strands of his hair looked disheveled as they framed the area around his eyes like he didn't brush his hair.

He still looked- you know.