Chapter Thirty

Neo and Arc both got dressed for dinner. Arc wanted to take Neo out, but his parents wanted to have dinner with them. Neo kept expressing he had nothing to wear, mainly because he wanted to look professional around Arc's parents, but Arc could be careless about what Neo looked like. Arc helped Neo settle on a black button-up and black cargo pants. Arc went for a black V-neck black sweater and black pants. Arc walked Neo down the stairs to the front foray room. People waved at them both when they left the house.

The two men drove in silence. Arc's father called for a driver because he knew Arc was going to drink. Arc kept his hand on Neo's thigh during the drive. Once they arrived at the restaurant, Arc walked over to Neo's door and opened it for him. He stepped out and fixed his shirt. Arc made Neo walk in front of him. He kept his hand on Neo mid back to lead him to the table. The restaurant was not busy. The tables were a nice distance from one another. Booths were half circles, and tables were mainly squares. Arc pulled Neo's chair out and then scooted it in. Arc sat next to him and smiled at his parents. Neo observed the parents.

Arc's father was older. Mid-fifties to early sixties. Muscular and fit. He also appeared to be over six feet. Long silver hair that was pushed back, groomed beard, and his eye color intrigued Neo. One was a beautiful cerulean green while the other eye appeared to have a broken iris. Those eyes could draw in anyone. Arc's mother seemed younger than his father but still up in age. She appeared in her mid-forties to early fifties. She was slim but muscular as well. Her hair was a caramel-chestnut brown that curled past her chest. Her eyes were brown, but they were a lighter brown, almost like a teak wood color. She appeared to be around 5'6.

Neo could see where Arc got the height, body, and features. He looked like his parents. 6'3 already, fit, muscular, hazel eyes, his beard coming in nicely, his hair slightly shorter than his dads, skin flawless. Then there was Neo sitting next to him; 5'7, skinny, flimsy, curly brown shag hair, dark lilac blue eyes, and no beard.

The table was quiet for a moment before Arc's father looked at Neo before they went back down to the menu.

"So, Neo? I heard you are dormmates with my son?"

"Yes, sir I am." Neo followed suit and looked at the menu. He observed the appetizers, but none looked appealing to him.

"How has he been? Messy probably." Arc's mom chuckled with his father. Even their laugh held power.

"He has been neat. The first week was rough, but he stays clean."

"That is good to hear. How are your classes?"

"They are good. All but two are for my major."

"What major are you going for?"

"History sir."

"What is your favorite era of history?"

Before Neo could speak the waiter walked over and took drink orders. He listened to Arc order a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild, and his mother and father decided on a bottle of Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes. Neo ordered water. They all three look over at him confused.

"You are just getting water Neo?" The wife spoke.

"Yes ma'am. I don't drink." Neo smiled softly. He wanted to drink. He believed it would help with his nerves, but he was a lightweight. He did not want to give Arc's parents the wrong impression. The parents waved the waiter away before they focused their attention back on Neo and Arc.

"Arc? How have classes been?" Arc smiled and they started to explain how they disliked the teachers and how the girls in class would throw themselves at him and his friends. Neo stayed silent while the other three spoke to one another. He did not want to butt in, but also, he did not know what he wanted to eat. He was not hungry, but he did not want to make Arc's parents upset. He looked at the whole menu, one sheet of paper inside a leather book. Fancy chicken, fancy steak, fancy seafood dishes. He wondered where the simple foods were. He wanted to just ask for grilled chicken and broccoli, but he did not know if he could. This place was too fancy for his liking.