Chapter 6

"Check your mirror," Mal says to Evie.
"Is my mascara smudged?" Evie asks.
"A little," Y/n replies.
And, hey, while you're at it, why don't you see if you can find us the wand?" Mal adds.
"Sure. This way," Evie says, checking her mirror.
The five teens arrive at the museum doors, but a guard is at the front desk, along with Maleficent's spinning wheel.
"That's your mother's spinning wheel?" Jay laughs.
"Yeah, It's kinda dorky," Carlos says.
"It's magic. It doesn't have to look scary," Mal states. She pulls out her spell book and recites a spell. "Magic spindle, do not linger. Make my victim prick a finger." But nothing happens, and the guard is still at his desk.
"Impressive," Jay taunts.
"I got chills," Carlos adds.
"Okay, you know what?" Mal says, annoyed. She flips through her book again and finds another spell. "Prick the finger, prick it deep. Send my enemy off to sleep." The guard slowly gets up from his seat, walks toward the spinning wheel, and pricks his finger on it. A few pink sparks fly out and he lays down right next to it and falls asleep.
"Not so dorky now, huh?" Mal says to Carlos and Jay.
"Stand back," Jay tells everybody.
Mal flips through some more pages of her book and recites a different spell this time. "Make it easy, make it quick, open up without a kick." The door flies open just as Jay is about to kick it down, and he falls on the floor with a thud.
"Ahh!"
"Coming?" Mal laughs.
"Come on, Jay," Carlos says, trying to help him up.
"I'm good," Jay pushes him away.
"Just trying to help," Carlos scoffs.
"Come on, let's go," y/n says. Carlos and y/n intertwine their fingers and follow their friends.
"So close. Upstairs," Evie says.
"Come on. Go, go, go, go. Up, up, up, up, up," Mal instructs them.
"Come on, guys. Almost there," Evie adds.
The VKs keep running until they see a room with statues of their parents, portrayed as their true villain selves.
"Mommy?" Evie whispers.
"Killer," Jay says, looking at his father.
"Psycho," y/n looks up at her father's statue.
"I will never forget Mother's Day again," Carlos says.
"Well, the wand's not here. Let's bounce," Jay casually says.
The rest of the group leaves the room to look for the wand, but Mal stays behind for a little while.
Meanwhile, Carlos and y/n split up with Jay and Evie, who are also looking for the wand. "Hey," Carlos says. "About what happened back there, at the dorm..." he trails off. "Carlos," y/n starts, but gets lost in Carlos' gorgeous dark brown eyes. He stares into her eyes as well but then looks down at her lips. He leans closer to her, just like he did in the dorm. She leans in too, and the distance between their lips grows smaller. Just when they're a centimetre apart, they hear Evie's voice.
"Hey, I found the wand. Let's go," she calls to them. Just like before, they immediately break away and run to join Evie, Jay, and Mal.
They see the wand, encased in a shimmery blue light. Jay runs down to try and grab it.
" Jay, don't!" Mal says forcefully. Jay just smirks and reaches for the wand, but instead gets blasted backwards.
"Argh!" He groans.
"A force field and a siren?" y/n exclaims.
" That's just a little excessive," Jay says, rubbing his head.
"Let's go!" Mal says to everyone.
"Hurry," Evie calls.
They reach the front desk, where the security guard is no longer there. Everyone runs to the door except Carlos, who shuts off the alarm and makes a call instead.
"Hello? Uh, uh, just give me one second. One second. Uh, yeah, yeah. No, false alarm. It was a malfunction in the, uh, in the 714 chip in the breadboard circuit. Yeah. Okay. Say hi to the missus," Carlos says over the phone before hanging up.
"Carlos!" Y/n calls.
"You're welcome," he says.
"Thank you," she replies with a smile. He smiles back and intertwines their fingers once again and they catch up with their friends who are sprinting across the yard.
"Way to go, Jay. Now we have to go to school tomorrow," an annoyed Mal says.