Chapter 10

Mal, Evie, Y/n, and Carlos are in the girls' dorm and Mal is flipping through her spell book on her bed, while Evie is sewing a dress. Carlos sits on the floor at the end of Mal's bed with y/n in his lap, her arms wrapped around his neck as he types something on his laptop. Soon enough, Jay walks in wearing a jersey.
"Woah-oh!" Jay exclaims, showing off his jersey. Y/n fist-bumps him, while Carlos keeps a firm arm around her waist.
"Did your plan work with Jane? Are you going over to see the wand?" Y/n asks Mal, who attempted to convince Jane to ask her mother for the wand.
"Do you think that I would be going through every single spell in this book if I hadn't completely struck out?" Mal grumbles.
"Oh, someone's in a bad mood," Carlos mutters.
"My mom's counting on me! I can't let her down!" Mal says to him, flicking the back of his head. Y/n runs her hand through his hair and his grip around her waist tightens slightly, pulling her closer to him.
"We can do this... if we stick together," Jay suddenly says.
"And we won't go back until we do. Because we're rotten..." Mal starts.
"To the core," everyone else finishes.
"By the way, Carlos and y/n, you guys are so cute together! I can't believe you're finally dating!" Evie squeals.
Y/n blushes, and so does Carlos. "Thanks, Evie," she says. Carlos kisses her cheek, making her smile.
"You guys are official right?" Mal asks.
"Yes, 100%," Carlos says, smiling. Y/n ruffles his hair a bit and leans her head against his.
"Since when?" Jay says.
"Yesterday," y/n replies.
"About time," Mal jokes, causing all of them to chuckle.
"Oh, yeah. I found out that Fairy godmother blesses Ben with the wand at the coronation and we all get to go. I have nothing to wear, of course. What?" Evie asks when she sees Mal's shocked expression. Someone knocks on the door, so Mal gets up to answer it.
"Hold that thought," she says to Evie and answers the door.
"Hey, Mal. I didn't see you guys today. I was just wondering if you had any questions or anything... that... you needed..." Ben says at the door.
"Not that I know of," Mal says. Y/n gets up and joins Mal at the door, an idea formulating in her mind.
"Okay. All right. Well, uh, if you need anything, just, uh..." Ben trails off, about to leave.
"Oh, wait! Um, is it true that we all get to go to your coronation?" Y/n asks.
"Yeah, the whole school goes," he smiles at her. Carlos sees him smile at y/n, making him glare at Ben until Mal asks him something else.
"Wow. That is beyond exciting. Do you think that it's a possibility that the five of us could stand in the front row next to Fairy Godmother, just so we could soak up all that goodness?"
"I wish you could. Upfront It's just me, my folks, and my girlfriend," Ben says, but he sounds like he does wish they could be there.
"And your girlfriend?" Mal repeats.
"Yeah. I'm sorry," Ben says genuinely.
"Okay. Thanks, bye," she says and closes the door.
"Oh, but, no, there's plenty of..." he starts, but gets cut off when Mal shuts the door.
"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Y/n shares a look with Mal.
"I think it's time that Bennyboo got himself a new girlfriend. And I need a love spell," Mal replies as y/n throws her spell book to her.
Y/n sits back down in Carlos' lap and wraps her arms around his neck again. "Did you have to get up?" Carlos grumbled. "I'm sorry," Y/n kisses his cheek, making him smile again and wrap his arms around her waist, bringing her closer to him. She rests her head against his until they all get up to leave to go to the kitchen to bake a love spell for Ben.

(In the kitchen)

"All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry," Mal says.
"Let's just chop up some onions," Carlos says while wrapping an arm around y/n's waist as they sit on a countertop next to each other.
"No. It says that we need one tear of human sadness, and this love potion gets the best so we have to follow it exactly," Mal states.
"A tear's a tear," Jay says simply.
"That's not true, Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear," Evie says, causing everyone to look at her.
"Listen to you," Mal says.
"You're so smart," y/n adds, making Evie smile. Just then Lonnie, Mulan's daughter, walks into the kitchen.
"There you are, Mal! I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair! Midnight snack, huh? What are you guys making?" she asks.
"Nothing special. Just cookies. Oh, no, no!" Mal exclaims when Lonnie dips her finger in the batter.
"Wait, wait, wait!" Y/n exclaims.
"What? I'm not gonna double dip," Lonnie says, confused at why they're all staring at her.
"Feel anything?" Evie asks.
"Anything...different?" Y/n says, moving toward Lonnie slowly.
"Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal adds.
"Hey, there," Jay attempts to flirt with Lonnie, who just gives him a tight-lipped smile and turns to Mal, Evie, and y/n.
"It could use some chips," she says.
"Chips?" Y/n asks, as she goes back to the counter and sits next to Carlos, who puts his arm around her again.
"And those are..." Mal says.
"Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group. Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies? Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and... why are you all looking at me like that?" Lonnie says, confused.
"It's just different where we're from," Mal says sadly. The rest of the VKs look down, remembering their parents and how they were treated. Y/n remembers her father, and even though she knew he loved her, he never showed any emotion and was always cold to her when they were around others. She leans into Carlos' side and he takes her hand. She squeezes it, knowing that he thought of his mom, who always treated him like her servant. She rests her head on his shoulder and he wraps his arm around her waist, gently pulling her closer to him.
"Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought... even villains love their kids," Lonnie says with a smile, hoping to cheer them up. "Oh... how awful," she says, seeing that they just keep looking down. A small tear escapes from her eye.
"Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. Have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow. Evil dreams," Mal says, quickly changing emotion and wiping the tear off Lonnie's face.
"Good night," Lonnie replies.
"See you tomorrow," Mal says as Lonnie leaves. "Okay, y/n, Carlos, cookie sheet. Evie, Jay, oven," she orders.
"Yes, ma'am," Evie says and runs to the oven. Y/n and Carlos get down from the counter and start lining the baking tray with the cookie sheet. They bake the cookies and put them in a plastic bag, ready to give one to Ben tomorrow.