Chapter 3

"Six months ago, no one thought that Ben's girlfriend from the wrong side of the bridge would last. Mal must be counting the days until the Royal Cotillion, when she will officially become a Lady of the Court," a reporter says from the TV in Carlos' dorm as he types something on his laptop. Suddenly, Mal enters, breathing heavily. She looks at the TV and clicks the remote a bunch of times to shut it off. Then, out of nowhere, her eyes glow neon green, like they did when she was talking to Jane.

"Whoa. Easy, girl," Carlos says, closing his laptop.

"What? You think this is so easy?! You don't have people taking a photo of you every single time you open your mouth to say boo!" Mal screams. "I mean, it's not that I could even say, 'Boo,' but, you know what I--"

"I'm sorry," Carlos apologises.

"Carlos, don't you ever miss screaming at people and just making them run away from you?" Mal asks hopefully.

"You're thinking of my mother, and I was usually on the other end of that. So, not really. No," he replies.

"Really? You don't miss running wild and breaking the rules and doing whatever we want back on the Isle?"

"Of course not. It was a terrible life, and if we never came here then I wouldn't have had a chance to be with y/n," he says.

"Funny, she said the same thing," Mal says, slightly annoyed. Carlos looks at his friend strangely, but then remembers something else.

"Oh, hey! Did you bring it?" he asks. Just then, Chad randomly enters his room.

"Hi," he says, surprised that they were there. "Just came to use your 3D printer. Won't be a sec."

"How'd you get a key to my room?" Carlos asks suspiciously.

"Oh, I printed it off last time I was in here. Uh... you guys were sleeping. Look, I just-- Your printer's so much better than mine, and you install these hacks and everything runs so much smoother than mine and--"

"Out! Now," Carlos orders.

"Fine. Fine," Chad says, putting his hands up in the air.

"Chad!" Carlos exclaims.

"What? Hmm?"

"Leave the key." Chad drastically walks to the table with the 3D printer and places the key on it before finally leaving.

"Mal?" Carlos turns back to Mal.

"Hmm?" she says, seemingly snapping out of a daze.

"My potion?"

"Hmm. Yeah. Um..."

"So, this thing will make me say what I want to y/n without being so nervous?"

"Yeah. I mean, this is a truth gummy, so take it or leave it," Mal says while holding a small gummy bear.

"Perfect," he smiles, reaching for the gummy bear.

"Hold on, though," Mal says, pulling her hand back. "Are you sure that you want to be taking this? Because this is gonna make you say the truth all the time, no matter what, and the only reason that I'm asking is because I know that if I took this right now, I would get myself sent back to the Isle. Which, it's not that that sounds super unappealing, but, you know..." she rambles.

"Yeah. I'll take my chances, I guess," Carlos shrugs. Suddenly, Dude the dog gets off the bed and eats it out of Mal's hand.

"Okay. Ohh! Bad dog!" Mal exclaims.

"Man, that thing was nasty! And you-- you just got to man up. And while you're at it, scratch my butt," Dude says. Carlos and Mal stare at him in shock.

"You heard him. Scratch his butt," Mal says, wide-eyed, and makes her way to the door.

"Mal. You're just gonna leave me with him?" Carlos says nervously.

"Come on. You scratch your own all the time," Dude says. Carlos sighs, wondering what to do now that he has a talking dog, but his phone starts ringing, and when he picks it up he sees y/n's name.

"Guess I gotta go," Carlos says to Dude after talking to her, smiling as he ends the calls and makes his way towards the door.

"Wait, don't leave me here!" Dude calls back as Carlos exits the room and into the corridors.

"Hi," he says to y/n once he reaches the school's rooftop. She turns to him, and smiles.

"Remember when you took me here?" she asks softly, walking towards him.

"Our first date," he says, and leans forward and closes the gap between them. She smiles, and kisses him back for a little longer until they pull apart.

"I've missed this. Us," Carlos says while looking down at her.

"I have too, so much," she replies. "I know I've been so busy with the decorating committee, but in a way I've actually enjoyed being in it."

"I know you have, and I'm so happy for you." Y/n smiles and Carlos kisses the top of her head and they sit next together at the edge of the rooftop, overlooking the school grounds. He wraps his arm around her and she leans her head on his shoulder.

"It's been a while since we last got a chance to spend time with each other, so I'm glad we get to now," y/n says contently.

"I know, Cotillion has been taking up everyone's time. Even mine since Ben always calls me or Jay whenever he needs something. But I'm so happy to be here with you, in this moment," Carlos smiles. Y/n smiles back, and kisses his cheek softly.

"Do you think it's affecting Mal too?" Y/n asks suddenly.

"What?"

"Cotillion. Do you think the pressure is getting to her?"

"Well, she swung by my dorm earlier today, and she did seem pretty stressed. Her eyes glowed," he adds.

"The same thing happened the other day when she was talking to Jane. It feels weird to admit it, but I'm worried about her," y/n says.

"Listen, I'm sure it's nothing. I mean, you know Mal, she can take care of herself just fine. I'm sure everything's alright," Carlos assures y/n.

"Yeah, I'm sure you're right," y/n says, sounding slightly relieved. She leans on Carlos' shoulder a little more and he pulls her closer to her.

"Looks like the sun is setting," Carlos points out.

"Deja vu," y/n jokes, making Carlos smile down at her. She smiles back, but suddenly her phone rings. She sits up straight and checks the caller ID.

"It's from Evie," y/n states, and answers the call. After a few seconds, she cuts the call, and her expression turns from smiling to horrified. Carlos notices immediately, and he gets worried too.

"Y/n, what happened?"

"Carlos..."