Chapter 5

"Guys!" Jay exclaims, realising something.

"Where's Ben?" Evie asks nervously.

"And y/n?" Carlos adds, panic ascending in his voice as he looks around doesn't see her anywhere.

"Ben? Y/n? " Evie, Jay, and Carlos call.

"Y/n!" Carlos says, a little louder. Just then, a figure stalks toward them.

"Ben, don't scare us like that," Evie says, assuming it is Ben.

"Don't scare you? But that's my specialty," the man smirks, coming into view. He's wearing red robes and a pirate hat with a hook on his left hand. The VKs instantly recognise him as a pirate.

"Harry," Evie says distastefully.

"What did you do with y/n and Ben?" Carlos asks fiercely.

"Oh, uh, we nicked them," Harry replies casually. "But don't think it was easy. Your girlfriend really put up a fight, that's how I got this," Harry points to his eye, which appears bruised and black.

"Something you definitely deserved," Jay says while gritting his teeth.

"Mm-hmm. Whatever. But if you want to see them again, have Mal come to the Chip Shoppe tonight. Alone," he adds. Uma wants... a little visit."

Evie, Jay, and Carlos share nervous glances, then turn their attention to Jay.

"Aw, Jay. Seems like you've lost your touch," Harry pouts teasingly, making Jay jump at him.

"If you even touch my girlfriend, I will make sure you pay for it in every way possible," Carlos says darkly, an infuriating glint in his eye.

"I'll be sure to make your precious girlfriend's stay as comfortable as possible on our ship," Harry replies sarcastically before walking away, cackling.

Once he leaves, Carlos kicks a can angrily and hides his face in his hands.

"Carlos," Evie puts a hand on her friend's shoulder. "She's gonna be okay."

"We don't know that," he replies, his voice breaking a little.

"Well, there's only one way we can do something about it," Jay says, looking up at the top of the tower.

"You're right," Carlos sighs, and the three of them make their way up the long, winding staircase.

Y/n's eyes slowly flutter open, until she fully awakes in a small, dark room. Once she's fully awake, she realises she has a throbbing headache and that her hands and legs are tied together.

"Y/n? Are you awake?" a voice calls from the other end of the room, one she instantly recognised as Ben's.

"Yeah," she replies weakly.

"Where are we?" he asks. Y/n looks around the room, but unfortunately she couldn't make much of the place. After a few minutes of analysing it, she realises where they were.

"Uma's pirate ship," she says through gritted teeth.

"Uma? Who's Uma?" Ben asks, confused.

"Ursula's daughter. She and Mal were always enemies growing up, and Uma and her pirate gang hated the five of us as well. Those people we saw before we blacked out? They're part of her crew, out for revenge," y/n explains.

"Is that why they brought us here?"Ben guessed.

"Well, obviously. Now I'm guessing they're gonna make a ransom exchange for us, and all we can do is just sit here praying they don't throw us overboard."

"But... I thought there's no ocean on the Isle of the Lost," Ben queries.

"Yes, but there just so happens to be an enormous lake on the west side of the Isle, and that's where Uma's ship is," y/n answers.

"And that's where we are right now," Ben sighs.

"Yup."

"What if they don't come?" Ben suddenly asks.

"What?"

"Mal, Evie, Carlos, and Jay. What if they don't come and save us? What if they just leave us here for the pirates to deal with?" Ben asks shakily.

"No," y/n shakes her head. "They would never do something like that. Never. But what makes you think they would?"

Ben lets out a long sigh before answering her question. "Me and Mal, we were already on thin ice when she left, and when I went up that tower to talk to her, she rejected me. She... she gave me back the ring." Ben pulls out a small golden piece of jewellery out of his pocket. Y/n looks at it, confused.

"That's not like Mal. She wouldn't have done that. She loves you," she says, still bewildered that Mal actually returned Ben's ring.

"I wouldn't be too sure of that," Ben replies heavily.

"I would. She does love you, Ben. She really does. Even if she might not admit it as much, you can tell she does," y/n says with a soft smile. Ben returns it, but only briefly.

"Well, if you say so."

Suddenly, the door bursts open, and light floods inside the room. Squinting her eyes, y/n looks up to see who opened the door, and sees Harry and a bunch of other pirates.

"Who are you? Why did you bring us here?" Ben asks frantically, but no one answers.

"Uma requested your presence, dear y/n," Harry speaks up with one of his lopsided grins. Before she could say anything, she was lifted off the ground and out the dark room, leaving Ben all alone in the darkness.

"Where are you taking me?" y/n demands, but the pirates ignore her and drag her into a room where she sees Uma standing near a cooktop.

"Untie her," Uma orders, and the pirates oblige and exit the room, leaving the two VKs alone.

"Why'd you bring me here?" y/n asks. As she looks around, she realises that she was brought into a kitchen. Then she notices a very familiar spell book sitting open on the countertop. "Why do you have Mal's spellbook?"

"One of my crewmates found it, and I thought it would be of some good use," Uma replies with an evil smirk. Y/n cautiously walks toward the spell book and sees that the pages are flipped to the love spell Mal used on Ben.

"Who are you using this for?" y/n asks shakily, although she already knows the answer.

"I know you know," Uma says. "But in the rare chance you don't, I guess I'll just have to keep it a surprise."

"You can't possibly want to do this just to get revenge on Mal!" y/n exclaims disbelievingly.

"And who made you think it's just that?" Uma rolls her eyes. "If my plan succeeds, then I'll not only be getting my sweet revenge, but I'll also be able to tear down the barrier and allow VKs to finally get off this wretched island!"

"You don't have to do this. If you take down the barrier, the entire world will be corrupted with evil!"

"You know what, I'm getting pretty bored of this conversation." All of a sudden, a ding echoes across the kitchen. "Wonderful, my cookies are done," Uma says with a sickly-sweet smile.

"I could report you. You left me untied, so I could just run out of this place and tell Mal and everyone else your wicked plan," y/n threatens.

"You could, but you're still on my turf. And as I like to say, my turf, my rules. Harry!" Uma calls. After a few seconds, the kitchen door swings open.

"Yes, captain?" Harry's face sticks through the door, and slowly he makes his way into the kitchen.

"Take her and that king to the deck. It's almost noon," Uma commands.

"You can't make me," y/n says to Harry fiercely.

"Oh yes," he replies, a smirk forming on his face. "yes, I can."