10.

Jude

My hand hesitates over her contact. A million possible thoughts running through my mind. What if she doesn't answer? What if she's blocked you? What if this just makes things worse?.

There is so much uncertainty about my decision. So many what if's. But the biggest one amongst them is what if everything ends up being okay?. That alone fuels my decision and makes me press the call icon on my phone under Harmony's name.

It takes a minute to ring but It does so eventually. I'm stood in my living room, pushing around one of my sliders with my foot as I anxiously wait for her to answer. Or for the call to decline.

"Jude?" She's confused.

"Hi harms—harmony." I clear my throat, looking down at the slider that I'm choosing to focus on to get rid of my anxiety.

"Hi?" She responds.

Silence fills the phone as she waits for me to say something. I'm thinking over my exact sentence, I want to get this right.

"Sorry for calling you randomly like this. I just wanted to talk to you about something."

She doesn't respond, but I know she's still there because I can hear shuffling coming from her end of the phone.

"Gio told me that you've also agreed to go on this holiday."

"Yep." She replies bluntly.

"I just wanted to...I don't know...clear the air?"

"Before we go on this trip together. I just don't want it to be awkward."

"Well you can't control that can you Jude?" It sounds crazy, but the adrenaline rush I get whenever she says my name is everything. Even if it's being used  in a negative context, like right now.

"Yeah...I know." I scratch the back of my head, start pacing up and down. This is not going how I want it to go and now I'm regretting even calling her. How dumb is it to call and ask for things to not be awkward between us when it's inevitable.

"I just thought we can at least try and be somewhat civil. Since we're going to be together a lot."

"Isabella not coming?" She asks.

"No, she's busy."

"Oh." Harmony replies and it has me racking my brain to think of every possible reason for her response.

"I'm sorry for calling. It's weird." I walk to my fireplace mantle. A picture of her and I, on Christmas Day sitting there. It's hidden for obvious reasons. Couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. It's my favourite picture.

"No—it's fine." She lets out a deep exhale.

"If that's all...I need to go." She says.

I love hearing her voice. I'm not ready for her to leave.

"Yeah...that's all." I smile at the picture now in my hands. One of the best days of my life.