35.

Harmony

"Harmony!"

"Harmony! Wake up!"

"Harmony grace Simmons! You wake up this instant!"

My eyes snap open.

"Grandma?" I'm surprised to see her.

"Hi baby." She smiles warmly.

"What are you doing here?" I question.

She walks closer, perches on the edge of my bed.

"I'm here...for you." Smiles softly as she takes my hand in hers.

"For me?" Still confused.

She doesn't say anything. And then my grandad walks into the room, stands behind her, supportive hand on her shoulder.

"Hey there babygirl." He smiles endearingly.

"Grandad?" I blink at him. Confused as to why they're both here right now.

"Where's mum? And Iris?" I turn my head to look around the room.

"They're not here." My grandads voice is calm but I detect a hint of hesitation as he tells me.

"Why not? Where are they? Do they not know I'm in the hospital? Where's Aaliyah—"

"Harmony." My grandma cuts me off. Places her hand on top of mine.

"Let's go for a walk." She smiles but it's sort of eerie, and I get a lump in my throat.

"I can't. I've got all this stuff—" I look down expecting to see my arm and leg in a cast, how I remember it to be when I briefly awoke before slipping into the coma. But there's nothing there.

No bruises. No cast. Just my hospital gown. Wrinkle free. Now I'm confused.

"What? Where's the casts? Where's the bandages—" my eyebrows are furrowed as I'm thinking hard, trying to figure out why I'm all of a sudden not injured.

"Harms." Grandma gives my hand a squeeze.

I look up at her, worried.

"Let's take that walk." She nods at me as if to encourage me. I look to grandad because I'm skeptical, he gives me an encouraging smile.

"Ok?" I pull the covers back. Place both my feet on the ground. My grippy socks sticking slightly to it.

I stand, grandma doing the same. She holds her hand out for me and I take it.

"I'm confused." I state as she leads me out of the hospital room along with grandad.

When we're outside of the room, they both take an arm each, linking it with theirs.