Christmas with the Grants and Guests [The In-Laws Find Out]

~What's a holiday without a little family argument?~

Owen was the first to step out of the car, slightly slipping on a patch of ice in Emma's mothers driveway, catching himself on the cold, silver, car door. Emma let out a giggle as Owen looked at her as if he had just watched his whole life pass before his eyes, breathless and red in the face. "I survived Jurassic World, it doesn't deem fit for me to die cracking my neck on a piece of ice." Owen joked smirking as he shut the car door, then quickly jogging to the other side, carefully avoiding any patches of ice, to help Emma out the car. "Careful." He steadied her as her boots connected to the icy ground, he didn't want Emma to fall flat on her face as he almost did. "I'm fine," She doted, letting go of Owen's sturdy hand. "Even if I were to fall I'm not sure if it'd hurt the baby." Owen rolled his eyes at her naivety.

Emma wasn't the safest person in the world to have a kid, she always believed that she could do the most dangerous tasks and being pregnant wasn't going to stop her which worried Owen. She was also the clumsiest person he ever knew, she once got her hand stuck in the toilet while reaching out of the shower to grab a new bottle of shampoo. The fire department had to be called. If that wasn't reckless he didn't know what was. He gathered the presents from the back of the car, and lead Emma up the snow covered steps of her mothers home. "Emmeline!" Her mothers shriek could be heard throughout the house as they entered, taking off their wet boots in the doorway.

A woman with short white hair bounced into the small hallway leading to the front door, almost dropping her wine glass in the process. Owen stared at Lucy and Emma in admiration as Emma stabilized her mother from falling over in her stupor. "Mom, it's good to see you." Emma caressed her mother, she rocked her a little back and forth. Her mother pushed her aside to grab ahold of Owen, caressing him as well, taking him by surprise. "Lucy." Owen breathed out, smiling satisfied as he wrapped his arms around her. "Oh honey, you know mom will do just fine." She pulled back, grasping at his rosy cheeks, forcing him to smile. He could smell the alcohol on her breath, the weird way she was acting must've been due because of the wine, usually she was never this cordial with him.

"Actually, the word mom means a lot to me." Owen voice started to quiver, Emma crossed over to Lucy, placing a hand on her arm. Lucy was always just too nosy. "Mom." She hissed out in a warning tone, her mother never understood boundaries and she had just crossed a big one. Why would you bring up someone's deceased family members on a family holiday? Who does that? "I'm sorry, dear." She continued to caress his cheek, tears flooding to her eyes as she thought of what it was like to lose her parents. "I didn't mean to upset you." She too knew the pain of loosing both of her parents as Owen did, she feared the day that Emma would know the sadness of loosing her, Bruce, and Alan.

"Come, come. There's lots to do. Lots of family to see again." Lucy hummed out sounding, a little more sober than she was before. "A little more extra family to see this year..." Lucy's voice was frigid when she spoke. Ah yes, she had started to feel out of the loop ever since gaining the knowledge that Alan had another child with another woman. It was a dicey dinner the night they had told her. Lots of screaming from her end.

Lucy ushered the new couple into the kitchen where Alan stood, leaning against the marble kitchen counter with a beer bottle in hand. Owen froze, even though he knew Alan genuinely liked him because of the whole Jurassic World incident, he still found him intimidating. "Owen." He raised his beer to him as Owen nodded in acknowledgement. He held his breath as Alan's gaze lingered on him a little longer than usual, Alan had once scared him as a kid with this fake raptor claw and he looked at him with the same gleam in his eyes.

Next to him was Kate, the newly found daughter, with a slight smirk on her lips. She knew. Emma told Kate everything, in fact they had become quite inseparable since the park. Kate waved to Owen with her pinky finger as her hand was clasped around a wine glass. Owen meekly waved back with an awkward smile upon his face.