An Unexpected Face

Emma was reclined in the green leather chair, strategically placed next to Owen's hospital bed, fallen into a deep sleep now that she knew Owen was safe. Owen was slightly awake, twiddling his thumbs as he stared into the corner of the room, thinking about Blue. She had survived and now she had a wild pack of raptors to live with. Where did those raptors come from? Could they possibly be from the old park? That can't be the only refugee from the old park was Rexie, so how did they get there? Owen shook his head in annoyance at the blaring questions in his head.

His attention snapped up towards the door as it clicked open, revealing Kate, Lucy, Bruce and Alan along with a couple of unfamiliar faces that stayed glued to Alan's backside. Lucy's expression was shocked as she glanced to Owen and then excited when her eyes tested on Emma. "EMMELINE!" She shouted, causing Emma to shoot up from the chair panicked. "Oh I'm so glad to see you're doing just fine!" She blubbered out as she caressed Emma's head fondly. "I see you're keeping her out of trouble." Bruce teased, perking a judgmental eyebrow up at Owen.

Owen nervously chuckled as he watched Bruce cross the room towards Emma, hugging her as well. "What the fuck happened to you?" Kate cynically questioned, threatening to touch his nose with her extended finger. "Kate, I swear to god if you touch me, I'll throw you in the mosasaur tank and I'll make it look like an accident." Owen threatened.

"We've missed you." Bruce chided to his step-daughter as he rocked her back and forth in the chair. "Heh, I've missed you guys too." Emma admitted, smiling warmly to herself. Alan cleared his throat from the other side of the room causing Lucy to lean back and roll her eyes. "I thought you guys were being civil." Emma whispered towards her mother as she watched her stand up. "Well that was before he brought his lackeys. Even Kate is uncomfortable with them here. She's acting shy." Lucy whispered back in return before striding over to Owen's bedside to where Kate was standing there, taking pictures of him.

"What happened here?" She questioned, pointing to her nose at him. Owen forced out chuckled before touching the bridge of his bandaged nose. "Oh you know...baryonyx's," He nervously laughed while shrugging his shoulders. "They're uhm, troublesome." Lucy lazily nodded her head as she turned her attention towards Alan as he crossed over to hug his daughter. Emma graciously accepted his hug, embracing him tightly and fondly as he kissed her forehead.

"You're staying out of harm?" He questioned as Emma sheepishly leaned back away from him. "Define harm." She said while making a wincing face. Alan rolled his eyes at her while sighing deeply and frustrated. "You're working with the T-Rex aren't you?" He sighed out as she hesitantly nodded her head in agreement. "Unbelievable." He sighed out while resting his cheek on her head. "You better keep an eye on her." He warned Owen, as he lazily peered over at the raptor trainer. "Oh trust me, I am." Owen replied, rubbing his arms as a nervous twitch.

Alan eyed him in suspicion, gazing at his broken nose and little scratch marks on his face. Owen took in a deep breath in. Bad example. He eyed the red headed girl and the young man standing next to her as they looked around the room awkwardly. "Who're you?" He asked questioningly. "One of the twins from the shining." Owen heard Kate whisper under her breath. The girl sheepishly stood behind the man who quickly cleared his throat. "We're, um, Dr. Grant's students." The man spoke up while pointing to Alan who was still caressing Emma. "I'm Thomas. And this," He pushed the girl in front of him. "This is Aria." Aria quickly gave a small wave before standing behind Thomas again.

Owen smiled at how shy she was, and how young they both were. They had to at least be in their early to mid twenties, but they both had to be intelligent to be Alan's personal students already. Owen softly chuckled as he glanced towards Emma who had begun staring them down. "I'm Owen, and this is-"

"Emma. We know." Thomas finished his sentence waving a little towards Emma who gave a little wave back. Weird, she had never met them but, she assumed that Alan had talked about her a lot to his students then. "This is great." Owen beamed at the guests in the room. "The whole family. Together. In one place." He gestured them clustering to the island with his hands. Lucy crossed her arms and perked a brow up in question at Owen. Was he on a high dosage of meds or something? He was acting quite awkward. "What're you on, I want a part of it." Kate taunted him, sitting on the side of the hospital bed. Anything to make her not remember this awkward family encounter.

Owen was happy for Emma, at least. He knew that she had been craving attention from her family since she had moved down here with him. Well, besides Kate, whom spoke with Emma everyday. But her parents. They never really skyped her or talked to her with the exception for a happy birthday to Bruce. Knowing that the family had somewhat been accepting to Owen made him happy. A little. Emma looked at Owen endearingly and he stared lovingly back at her. She was there to support him for the judgmentalness of her mother and he was there to support her on her job.

"So how long?" A deep voice asked from across the room. Everyone turned their attention to the man in the doorway. He had the same green eyes as Owen, dark brown hair with little patches of grey showing through, and facial hair. Emma pieced together that he had a lot of features resembling Owen, it was almost scary. "Pardon?" She spoke up, giving the man a confused stare when Owen said nothing but, looked rather pissed at the man.

"How long was he going to keep me a secret?" He specified as he sauntered further in the room. "What're you doing here?" Owen spat out, causing the man to stop in his tracks. He looked shocked for a moment at Owen's tone then lightly started to chuckle, raising his arms up from his sides. "It's family day, isn't it...bro?" Emma glanced at Owen questioningly. Brother? Owen had a brother? "Ho-ho-holy shit." Kate breathed out. "Owen, why-why didn't you tell me?" Emma questioned, hurt that he never cared to explain that he had at least one surviving family member.

Owen let out a frustrated sigh as he leaned his head back on his pillow. "Maybe I can enlighten that." The man strode to Emma and Alan's side with his arms crossed, staring at his brother. "You see after our sister and our parents died of an unfortunate event, they left Owen and I to deal with the debt that they had collected over the years even though Owen was just starting college and I was finishing medical school. After the even more expensive funeral Owen, quickly ditched me with the debt and hastily joined the navy. He hasn't spoken to me since. Isn't that right?" Owen's brother explained in an irate tone.

Emma turned to face Owen with an angered expression. Not only had he lied to her about not having anymore family but he kept this big of a secret from her and ran away from his brother, leaving him with the responsibility of their parents debt. "Owen what the hell?" Emma stated angrily, standing up to looked down at him in frustration. He looked up at her apologetically before glaring over at his brother. "Dammit Emmett." He cursed as his brother subtly laughed.

Emma glanced over to see her mother and step-father looking put off by Owen's blatant lie. She could feel the disapproval by them. "Okay, Grant's...Smith's...students, why don't I give you a tour of the island." Emma nervously proposed, clasping her hands together in a pleading way. "Hey! That's my job!" Kate stood up and pointed to her chest in an annoyed gesture. Lucy shrugged her shoulders in annoyance. "I don't see why not." She spoke for all of them, before waving adieu to Owen.

"You two better straighten this up by the time we get back." Emma hissed at Owen and Emmett as she turned to follow the rest of the family. Emmett chuckled softly under his breath as soon as they all were gone. "You got your girlfriend pregnant?" He snorted out. Owen nodded his head in agreement, "And on the first try."