Chapter 9. Jaeson

Lillian?

It is him that I see on the balcony talking to a boy, the one he came to the bar with that day.

But why is he here?

He looks away quickly, seeming like he is trying to avoid me. And I can't help but wonder why. If he doesn't want me to greet him in front of these people, then I won't. I go back to talking with my business partners.

The party is hosted by the Atelierr Family. They are a big name in the fashion industry. Their daughter Kayla was one of the dates my mom set me up with. It didn't work out obviously but she's a really nice person and I keep in touch with her and her parents for work purposes. So I got invited just like the other business conglomerates present here tonight.

I can't help but wonder who Lillian's friend is. It confirms my suspicions that he must be an heir of a well-known businessman present tonight as well.

Suddenly, there is a fuss and everyone turns to look in a direction. I turn to look as well and see that someone spilled their drink into Mr.Thompson's suit. When I take a closer look, I realize it's Lillian, looking down worried and his hand shaking. Feeling perturbed, I immediately walk over towards them as Thompsom makes some really rude comments towards the kid.

Lillian steps back in fear, suddenly falling back as his feet slip over the edge of a small step on the floor. Luckily, I got there in time to catch and steady him, holding him by the waist as he fell on me.

"You okay?" I ask him. He looks pale and doesn't answer me back, with eyes looking away from me.

"Mr.Reid," Thompson says looking surprised to see me help the kid, "He'll be fine. Although, I can't say I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the evening with a stained shirt."

"Cancel our deal," I say seriously and turn to Lillian to help him stand fully so we can go out and get him some fresh air. It seems that he was having a panic attack.

"What- What do you mean, Mr.Reid?" The old man looks flustered like he doesn't expect me to say that. But I did and I say again.

"I said what I just said."

"But why-"

"Mr. Thompson, you just insulted my very important friend," Lillian's friend rushes in and says. "He's someone I begged for to attend the party with me. I'm sorry but you should leave."

Thompson looks baffled and angry as he murmurs some words and rushes out of the hall in embarrassment.

"Lillian, are you okay?" The kid turns to ask. Lillian still seems a bit out of it but he nods slowly.

"I'm so sorry for leaving you alone, I-"

"So you are the reason he's here?" I cut in and ask him, a little annoyed with how he keeps making Lillian do things he won't do.

"I- I'm sorry, I needed some help from him and..."

"It's okay. It's not like Kayden forced me to come here," Lillian says and stands back on his feet.

"Lillian, are you really okay? I'll take you to the guest room and you can res-"

"I'll take him back home." I cut him again and my words are final. He doesn't protest or say anything but looks worriedly at Lillian.

"Your mom will be worried, tell them I'm fine and stay back. I'll go with the Director."

"Okay..., I'm so sorry."

"Don't be, it's not your fault I messed up and can't handle pressure and attention," he chuckles at himself but his face is expressionless as if he hates himself for it.