Chapter 17. Lillian

"Careful on your steps, the road is rough," Aiden says giving me his hand after I nearly slip my foot on the dry leaves.

We're hiking up the hill nearby and the place is pretty calming and peaceful.

I take Aiden's hand and he helps me walk up through. I'm not the fittest person so this is kind of hard for me.

"Look forward, you keep looking back...you'll fall that way," he says and that's when I realise he noticed me constantly looking back.

And that's because the Director is walking behind me alone.

I nod and we keep walking for a long while.

"Ah-What the-"

I quickly turn back to see the Director's backpack stuck at a thorn bush. I rush down to help, forgetting that it's a steep hill.

The next moment I know, I slip down and fall on my back.

"Lillian-"

He catches me before I slide further downwards. Wincing, I stand up carefully.

"Thanks."

"Careful. You hurt?"

"I don't think so," I say and see him wincing. The thorn branch that is still stuck on his backpack is also prickling his extended arm that is grabbing me.

I quickly removed it. "You're hurt," I state seeing the bloody scrape it left on his skin.

"It's nothing much, let's go," he says taking my wrist and guiding me back up again.

Aiden walks ahead with Callum this time and we follow them for quite a long while until we see the view of the temple and the rest house.

"Woah, finally. I'm tired," Callum says and rushes inside.

Callum isn't the most physically fit person among us so he had been the least interested one when Nick suggested spending our last days at the resthouse above the mountain.

The temple is simple and peaceful. There's a monk sitting at the side and he helps us guide through to pray first.

Aiden is at my right and I follow what he does when he removes his shoes and get inside to pray.

The monk sprinkles us with the holy water and then passes us some fortune paper each.

"What do we do with this?" I ask Aiden.

"You write a wish on your last stay here and hang it there," he says pointing to the tree outside with lots of fortune papers.

I nod, "That sounds nice."

"They say it usually comes true if you believe it."

"The wish?"

He nods.

"You came here a lot already, did your wishes before come true?"

"I don't know I have never written one."

"What? Why?"

"I'm not the most believer kind, Lillian."

"It still sounds fun to write one though."

He chuckles, "Let's write together this time then."

I nod and turn to see the others coming out of the temple.

"Why is he always glaring at me?"

I know who he means because Director stands there beside the old pillar, eyeing us for a moment before lifting the bags and walking away towards the resthouse.