Chapter 4. Lillian

I hum myself a small tune I have no idea from where as I scrub myself in the shower.

College has been good so far. I have made some friends and everyone is cool. However, I still am trying to be more outgoing and match up their social energy.

I look in the mirror and stare at myself.

One would describe me as petite and soft but I think I actually got some muscles and look pretty firm and toned.

Not like before. I was pale, faint, and light...like my existence was barely there. I have always liked myself but now, I love myself a lot more.

I realized that's how we keep our minds healthy. I may not be the strongest but I will try my best to not be the weakest. Been there, done that. Wasn't nice.

I look at my face recalling the many times people have commented that I look too pretty for a boy.

Do I?

I know that I'm far from your typical masculine jock with strong muscles and all. But it kinda hurts when they say stuff like that as if looking like this is a bad thing for a boy.

I have learned to ignore the negativity though because I like how I look.

I smile at myself in the mirror before washing my face in the sink.

"Lils?"

I hear my brother calling from the front door. He already ate breakfast by the time I woke up.

"Yeah? You leaving?"

"Yeah, I'm going out. I will be late tonight. Don't wait for me for dinner. Eat and go to sleep, alright?" I hear him say as I pop my head out of the bathroom.

"Okay, take care."

"You too, see you later."

I nod and watch him go out before getting back into the shower. I quickly finish up after washing my hair.

It's a weekend, I have work around 1 pm and I still have lots of time to spare. As on any other weekend, I clean up the household and do some chores for a while.

There's a sudden call from my co-worker as I was about to clean the dishes after lunch.

"Hello?" I say over the line.

"Lillian! Will you be free to cover me for two hours in advance?"

It's Tyler and he sounds rushed so I quickly answer him.

"You mean at 11?"

"Yeah, I kind of have an emergency. Please," he sounds desperate.

It's not like I have anything tight to do, "Sure. Be there around eleven."

"Thank you, you're my savior!"

"No problem," I say chuckling at how genuinely thankful he sounds.

I check the time and I still have around an hour to finish up everything before I can take the bus.

*-*-*

"Hey, you here? Tyler just left 5 minutes ago," Yasmine says from the counter.

Yasmine manages the order on calls and arranges the boxes we will be delivering. She's a sassy older sister-like friend we have around here. Really nice and will have your back no matter what.

"Yeah, he said something about an emergency," I tell her.

"His grandma's in the hospital. Must be pretty serious," she says looking concerned.

"Really? I didn't know that."

Tyler and I started working here around the same time so we both are kinda close even though our schedules are different. And he isn't the type to get help with his shifts so I was surprised when he called in earlier.