3

Virgil stared at himself in the mirror and just gawked at his reflection in surprise. For starters, the bathroom was large and ornate. Patton had said that he was free to come and use his bath whenever he needed to since he wasn't entirely sure if the prince would give him his own. The thing was Virgil went from a small metal basin-like bath that he doesn't even remember much to a literal pond out in the woods... and nowhere is in this porcelain and marble bathroom with golden accents. He was a bit overwhelmed with it all.

He smiled softly as he ran his hand through his now-washed and sweet-smelling hair. He was actually pleasantly surprised to see his hair wasn't a dirty rust color... but instead had lightened several shades to nice light ginger once all the dirt and grime were off. His skin was deathly pale and he was scarily thin but even still he looked far better after a good bath. He felt better too. He didn't realize just how much dirt weighed down on him.

"Kiddo?" Virgil jumped a bit at the soft knock on the door before hurriedly running to open the door. Patton's eyes seemed to light up the second he saw Virgil, who blushed in embarrassment over wearing nothing but the cotton undergarment that Patton had set out for him before the bath. Even that was a surprise. He never knew clothes could be so soft and this was just what adults would wear UNDER everything. "Awe, look at you all nice and washed up." Patton tussled the younger hair with a beaming grin before pulling him out gently to his room. "Here let's pick out some clothes before situating that hair for you." Virgil was just stunned, going along for the ride as Patton brought him over to his closet.

"Now don't you worry about anything getting messed up or dirty. I'm usually working in the garden or the infirmary so I often ruin my clothes a lot. His Highness never fails in getting me any replacements that I may need." Virgil's eyes suddenly narrowed giving the other a look as Patton sighed in understanding. He simply started to skim through the clothes he had hanging. "I told you the Prince was a very sweet man. He's just not good with humans. He has a hard time getting himself to care at all about them, which is why he was so... dismissive and harsh with you. Yet at the same time, he saved your life and made a deal to keep you alive. He's not all bad just... rough around the edges."

"With me... things are different. I'm treated far better than other staff and have far more luxuries than most. Despite originally being human The Prince does his best to still take good care of me... even with his temperament towards humans." Patton carefully pulled out a pair of dark cotton pants before holding out for Virgil to hold. "I was noble... a lord when I was human." Virgil's eyes shot wide as Patton just chuckled at his sudden expression. "I wasn't well-liked as I refused to take a wife. Or... any partner mind you... But I did what I could for the people who surrounded me." Patton seemed to melt into the memory as he turned back to the closet to see what he had for shirts. "There was a young boy. His father and he had arrived at my estate sometime in the winter. The poor old man was very sick but determined to work for a safe shelter. I of course provided it, trying my best to give the man the best care I could but... Unfortunately, the man passed in the dead of cold, leaving the young boy with me."

"I adopted him and raised him as my own. I never could let a child want for anything. But as winter grew on it was quite clear the father wasn't the only one who was sick." Patton hesitated as he swallowed up the bad memories before giving a sad look back at Virgil. "He was dying and I hadn't a clue how to save him." Virgil could see how heartbroken the fae was over it. "I packed up all I could, making sure to write down everything I'd need if god forbid I'd never return. The path we were taking to the capital wasn't a safe place way all. We were nearing the first town when... we had to camp out for the night. He had taken a sudden drastic turn for the worst... he wasn't going to last the night. In a panic I ran out hoping to reach the town for any semblance of support... but I tripped and fell." Virgil hesitantly brushed his hand over the fae's arm making Patton jerk up a bit before melting at the concern in the human's eyes. "I fell into the fairy circle. Much like the prince told me you did... just different circumstances. Anyway, His Highness appeared almost instantly questioning the tears that I kept shedding. I told him about the boy I was caring for and begged him to help save him. The prince made a deal with me to cure him of his illness and to ensure a well and prosperous long life... for my life as payment. I would return with him to fairyland after bringing my son back to the estate."