10

Virgil groaned and coughed, hating the yucky feeling in his throat. It felt raw and yet coated as if he was sick, but he knew he wasn't his face felt sticky from all the tears that had dried to his face and it took a while for his eyes to peel open.

For a while, Virgil just laid there staring at the wall of his room, not wanting to move. He knew he was a mess. He didn't even know why this upset him so much. He was nothing. Absolutely nothing... not even compared to a human. And this was a literal Fae Prince... He had no chance in hell to be even worth a second of his time. So why does that make him want to cry all over again?

Virgil sighed as he finally pushed himself up, the blanket falling off his chest and into his lap. Virgil frowned as he spotted something on his dresser that he knew, for a fact, was not there when he went to bed.

Virgil hesitated slightly as he made his way over only to freeze up seeing the brand new outfit that sat folded on his dresser. His heart clenched as he looked it over and frowned. It was just this nice white button-down shirt with dark red slacks. He didn't have to think long to know who it was from. The red slacks were a dead giveaway. Virgil stared at it for a while before shaking his head and quickly moving to pick different clothes to wear.

When Virgil opened the door to Roman's room, he didn't know what he expected to be honest. However, Roman cuddled tightly to a pillow, curling around it, as he buried his face far into the red pillow cover, which was not something he would have even guessed. Roman's always been a very loose and relaxed sleeper, choosing more to lay on his chest than ever on his side. Virgil didn't want to think too much about it, not wanting to give himself a reason to worry over nothing.

He started the bath before doing anything else, letting the tub fill with that familiar scent of Roman's favorite bath oil. He almost jumped when he walked back into the room only to find Roman's eyes open and glossy, staring over at him from his bed. He hadn't moved from where he hugged the pillow tight, just moved his head so he could watch the other as he moved. Virgil rolled his eyes as he walked over to the other's dresser deciding he was just going to pull out some random clothes since the prince didn't seem too keen on actually moving yet.

"Poppet?" Virgil hesitated slightly, looking up through the reflection of the vanity mirror, as Roman slowly sat up. "Did... Did you see the outfit?" Virgil only gave a curt nod before going back to his job, pulling out a light gray tunic, as the sound of Roman getting up sounded behind him. "Did... Did you like it... a-at least?" Virgil didn't respond that time, choosing rather to pull some black pants out before turning around to find himself staring at yet another gift. Roman held up this ruby teardrop necklace, with dazzling golden accents of vines and leaves traveling the gem. "Please?" Virgil stared at it, as Roman held it out more, only to force himself to look away as he shoved the clothes into Roman's arms and walked off.

"You have to accept it." Virgil stopped short as Roman's voice seemed to crack just the slightest bit. "Even if you never wear it... you have to accept it. It's a gift. You... You don't turn down fae gifts. You just... You just don't." There was a beat... a second, then Virgil held his hand out to his side making Roman crash all the more as he carefully placed the necklace into the other's palm. "Thank you." There was nothing said or done after, as Roman just stared at the human with a sad look in his eyes, watching as Virgil walked out of the room.

Later that day Virgil was doing his chores. He and another servant were cleaning up the kitchen since it was nearly time for dinner. He had been doing his best to avoid Roman as much as he could using his job and busying himself with as much as he could.

He was cleaning off the island when he froze stiff at the sudden sight in front of him. The fae beside him went completely silent as Virgil gently picked up the beautiful red silky gloves. He just stuffs them into his back pocket before turning back to aggressively wipe the counter, the other fae just staring at him with shock in their eyes.