16

"Wait! Poppet!" Virgil stopped with a groan as he turned around to see Logan trying to catch him. "Pardon me..." He called before just taking a breath. "You've been in contact with His Highness right? You've been allowed in his room?" Virgil sighed as he nodded seeing how Logan's face dropped.

It's been quite a while since the prince ever left his room. Virgil was the only one ever allowed in or out. Roman rarely even talked through the door which of course sparked some heavy rumors throughout the castle over why. Virgil could see how frustrated Logan was over everything. But what exactly could he do? Roman was hiding himself away for a reason.

They had discovered that the veins would fade the calmer Roman was; that it was only when his emotions got out of control and took over that the veins showed up giving it away that he was infected. Which would have been fine if Roman had any control over his emotions, but he didn't. So he locked himself away to make sure nothing happened and that no one found out.

That meant Virgil became the middleman. He didn't mind it though. He was Roman's personal servant everything he was doing he would have had to do regardless of the reason. Besides... it made it all worth it when he'd walked into the room and Roman's eyes lit up at the sight of him.

"Why is he... I mean... I-..." Logan groaned before aggressively rubbing his temple in frustration. "Just inform him that it's increasingly difficult to successfully run a castle, kingdom, and mission while locked in a bedroom." Virgil huffed hearing the growl in Logan's voice before the older fae just deflated. "And... that I am concerned over his absence. Now I must go. I have a job to do." Virgil just stood there watching as Logan hurriedly sped off before just sighing and starting back towards Roman's room.

The second he opened the door, Roman's head shot up and the black veins appeared. His entire face seemed to light up as he smiled, making Virgil blush slightly over the expression the prince was giving him.

"Dearheart! You've returned." Roman spoke in a soft hushed tone as he carefully laid his journal on his lap. "You were gone a while. I had wondered if something held you up." Virgil nodded as he carefully placed the tray he had been carrying with him on the nightstand. He made a sort of flat 'o' sign with both hands, holding them up to his temples, before what Roman could only describe as shaking or rocking them twice, before Virgil opened both hands and moved them down as if holding a box. Roman blinked before lighting up again as he caught on.

"Teacher." Virgil nodded and Roman couldn't help but melt into this sense of pride over getting it right. Virgil had been teaching him sign language to help focus his mind when things got too much... or Roman couldn't speak for some reason, as that had happened a few times. "What did Logan want?" Virgil signed 'worried' and Roman sighed with a sad nod. "Oh. I can understand that. I just can't do anything about it. I-..." Virgil quickly took Roman's hand making the prince smile as he took a breath. "Sorry. I-... I know. I know." Roman forced himself to take another deep breath as he clenched and unclenched his hands. "I need to these emotions-... MY emotions. I'm sorry." Virgil just gave the other a reassuring look before gesturing to the tray he had brought, which had Roman's lunch.

"Thank you, Dearheart." Roman simply patted the spot next to him on the bed, letting Virgil sit beside him with a hum. Virgil held the plate on his lap as Roman turned back to his journal, just writing away, as he occasionally picked at his plate. Virgil read over the other's shoulder, which Roman smiled at as he caught sight of Virgil leaning against him, whenever he would glance at the human. "What is it?" Virgil's eyes were wide and bright as he just pointed to the book, making Roman chuckle. "My book?" Virgil nodded as he turned back to reading. "It's nothing much. I'm just keeping a journal of my experiences with this illness. With information being so important and... a sparse resource, I wanted to get everything I could down on paper for future reference. You know? Maybe it will help another who's infected." Roman sighed as he gently closed his book and just stared off at nothing.