12

"I'll get started on sending everything out." Logan said the second the group got back to the cottage. Roman stood there unmoving as his advisor scurried off. Virgil just sighed as he unclasped the choker, taking it, and thus the red, off of him. The second Logan was far enough away Roman whipped around with bright rage-filled eyes.

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!" Roman yelled out making Virgil jump in shock. Sure he knew Roman would get mad at him but... but... He just didn't want to see it again, to be honest. An angry Roman is a very scary Roman... at least in Virgil's opinion. "Well?! ANSWER ME!" Virgil shook his head as he tried to leave, not wanting to be the target of the prince's anger. Roman grabbed him harshly, to force him to stay, only for Virgil to whimper in response, making Roman release him instantly with a sudden jerk at the sound. He crashed hard over everything, aggressively pulling his hair back, practically tearing it out in the process.

"You could have gotten hurt," Roman growled as he finally managed to force his words through his teeth trying to hold himself back. "Don't you understand that? You could have gotten hurt, Poppet." Virgil just frowned and curled away anxiously. Roman's arms fell to his side as he forced himself to go numb again.

"You put yourself into a position of danger even just by going near a fae. And if you include the fact that this particular fae was infected, the risk practically triples. Poppet-... That's why I told you to remain at my side." Roman's voice cracked a little as his eyes dazed out again. "You disobeyed me." Virgil whimpered again, making Roman suck in a breath. "Look at me." Virgil tensed before doing as he was ordered only to falter seeing the soft look the prince had in his eyes. A soft look that showed more emotion than he knew the prince could feel, considering Roman's emotions were muted when even compared to other fae. "Just listen to me next time... please, dear. I'm trying to keep you safe." Roman's eyes fell again as he shook his head and turned away. "Just take the rest of the day off. I-... I have to go."

Something was going on with the prince and it was making Virgil lose his mind. This was not his prince. The dead expression... the absence of all emotion other than anger... ok that one was Roman but... Virgil has seen more to the prince than just that. Roman's a flirt. He's overprotective. He's sly and at times as gentle as can be. This... This was not his prince, and Virgil knew deep down it was his fault.

He needed to make sure Roman ok.

He checked in with Logan first, thinking Roman might have been with him for the few hours that Virgil paced and panicked and finally worked himself up into moving since they had gotten back to the cottage. But Logan was alone, and according to him, always had been. Virgil tried asking the other staff but the second one of the three saw him, they ran the other way. So Virgil turned to Patton, eyes darkening as he said he hadn't seen Roman since they first got back. Patton had said the prince had asked him for something to relieve his headache and tight chest but that that had been it. That was how Virgil found himself in front of Roman's room again. Patton had said Roman was complaining of feeling ill, so the best bet is to assume he was resting.

Virgil sighed as he knocked on the door, wringing his hands over all the nerves that shot through him. At this point, he didn't care what he had to do. He just wanted to see Roman smile again. All this mess of nonsense... He wanted to say that it couldn't have been because he took off all the red but at the same time... he knew there was nothing else that happened that affected Roman in any way... let alone in this way.

"Come in." Virgil's heart broke at the sound. Roman's voice barely even made it through the door. It was just so empty... so dead. Virgil hesitated just a bit as he slowly opened the door only to see Roman sitting there in bed just staring at a red ribbon he had in his hands. A red ribbon... Virgil's body went cold at the sight. Virgil cleared his throat catching Roman's eyes, who only frowned in response. "I gave you the day off." Virgil just looked down making Roman groan.