13

"You have everything right?" Virgil was honestly surprised at how clingy the Prince seemed to be all day. Right now Roman was fixing Virgil's jacket, making sure he could still see the red of his shirt before Virgil stopped him with a sad smile. "What? I'm just... I-..." Virgil sighed as he sifted through all his things before pulling out the red band choker and putting it on. Roman's eyes lit up as Virgil fixed the jacket himself, showing that Roman still could see Virgil was wearing red. "I-... Thank you." Roman sighed before just glaring at the jacket in thought.

"Are you sure you should be wearing that? You hardly had on anything heavy whilst on the way here and you still ended up passed out." Virgil huffed as he just shot the prince a look who nodded and stepped back. "Ok. Ok... if you're certain you'll be ok, just... Poppet, I want you to promise me that if you start feeling ill you'll tell me. Throw a pebble at me to get my attention, I don't care. Just... tell me. Humans are fragile and I don't want to find you unconscious again." Virgil frowned in confusion, making Roman falter seeing the question clear in his eyes. Roman just sighed as he refocused on what he was doing. "I... I don't know. I do not understand why I am as protective as I am. I suppose it's for the same reason that I am as possessive as I am. I just don't know." Virgil nodded as he hugged his jacket close. He understood. Emotions were hard for fae... even harder for Roman who hardly felt them. "I'm sorry if I'm being too much. It's just... You're wearing red again and it's been so long since I've seen it... My possessiveness is a bit..." Roman clammed up as Virgil placed his hand over the prince's, who relaxed instantly when he realized Virgil didn't care at all. "I just can't go back to you not wearing it. I'm a tad all over the place. Forgive me?" Virgil simply smiled with a nod as Roman let out a deep breath.

"Alright. Is everyone ready?" Roman turned to address the rest of the group, who all stood at attention the second he had. "The day is cooler today and it's only going to get cooler the further south we go so the heat shouldn't be that much of an issue. However, we will be going slow-..." Virgil whined, making Roman chuckle, as he knew exactly why this was happening. "Relax, Poppet. I just want to be cautious. There's nothing wrong with going easy." Virgil huffed with a roll of his eyes only making Roman laugh more. "Logan, you're on point. Please... lead the way." After that Roman simply climbed up into the carriage before anything more was said.

"Onward." was all Logan said and soon the group was off. Roman was right about one thing, that day was cooler. Then again Virgil had noticed how he had been feeling colder and colder as time went on. The day his eyes went black, Virgil had found his skin feeling incredibly icy. He couldn't stop shivering for hours. That's why he was wearing the jacket. It was just a simple brown one Roman had scrounged up but it did its job. Virgil huffed out a breath as he hugged his bag tighter to him only to hesitate at the laughter that sounded beside him.

"Already feeling tired? We haven't even started yet." One of the other servants hissed making Virgil's eyes darken. "You're so weak-..." Their eyes met with the red band only for their face to pale as they scurried off. Yeah... Virgil expected that much. They're too scared of Roman lashing out for them to actually try anything. Virgil rolled his eyes as he just kept walking. Let them think what they want; it wasn't like it mattered.

Roman sat there in the carriage lost in thought. He had been since they started. He was trying to understand just what was going on with him but nothing seemed to make any sense. He was possessive of Virgil. He knew that clear as day. That alone isn't anything new. Roman was the type of fae to get very possessive of things that belonged to him. It's a trait all royals seem to possess.

Then there's the fact that he's overprotective of Virgil. However, at this point, that again was nothing new for him. He was a summer fae and his father's son. Both he and his sibling Emile carried that protectiveness they got from the king. That soft side he possessed that he just couldn't turn off anymore when it came to his human. Virgil would flush and Roman would want to make sure he wasn't sick. Virgil would whine and Roman had to make sure whatever upset him never caused him any trouble again. He hated how strong that side of him was with Virgil but he just couldn't help it anymore. He had seen his human hurt and upset far too often. He couldn't stand it anymore and just... wanted to do anything he could to keep it from ever happening again.